howling/owl kind of noise at around 1500rpm

mattyo

May 4, 2006
watton Norfolk
hey have a tdi ref sport, i have a howling/owl kind of noise at around 1500rpm, also dv makes a funny noise at times and rev wont freely drop as usually would, and ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Ah this old chestnut. I've got it too. Search for "owl" in the forums. I'm mentioning it to the dealer next time I'm in. Opinions vary between "nothing to worry about" and "you need a new turbo, mate".

irdial

My deaear picked up on something like that and said the turbo was faulty. Replaced under waranty.

Timson

Mar 26, 2008
I had something very similar to that when I had my Impreza Turbo.... It turned out to be a leaking blow off valve (AKA - Dump Valve).... Turbo pressure being vented off when it should be on-boost.

I'm sure the turbo itself will be OK. :)

Tim

mattyo

May 4, 2006
watton Norfolk
also have noticed since having the owl type noise that the revs are not dropping freely as they did before? is this anything to do with the problems u peeps have had before

Timson

Mar 26, 2008
I'm no turbo engineer, but I still think it's a leaking DV....

The hoot noise will be turbo pressure leaking out on-boost......and the sustained revs could be attributed - again to the leaking valve (which is probably stuck in a partially open position), allowing residual unvented boost pressure through to your fuel injection rather than venting it away when off-boost.

Tim

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.