i keep on burning coilpacks!

liquid

hello folks,
Im not from around, new to this site aswell
i own a Seat Leon FR (180 BHP) - its a model sold in the uk i belive as the CUPRA, running with the famous 1.8T engine.

Anyhow ive got the car latley (a month ago), and since then ive replaced 2 coilpacks(!!).
One was replaced by the folk ive purchased the car from, and the other one was changed 2 days ago by me. the thing is today i lost another one and im starting to freak out. i use this car as my evreyday veichle and being away from work nowadays is not a good thing..

i was woundering what could be causing this, till now ive changed the most to the left coil and to the right, leaving the two in between to be faulty.

a few guys around told me i should get my hand on some tt coils (225 BHP) as they are better suit for tuned cars (??)

My setup is a DP, full exhaust, forge 007p, FMIC, Stage 2 custom chip. boosting at about 1.5-1.7 @ peak times. Kilometers = 60k which is about 37k miles. (2005 model)
ive had the car serviced the second day i got it, they had a look and said the coils look fine... what should i do!? :help::help::help:

Thanks so much,
Avi.

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
hi and welcome to the site.. i believe its a common problem with the 1.8t.. ive read on here that once 1 coil pack goes its possible more will go.. i believe some people reconmend changing them all at once as they are not a big expence and easy enough to change.

CapnAHAB

indeed get them all changed (well replace the remaining old ones), then use that as your benchmark. If the complete new set start to burn then you've got a problem, but until you get to that point relax :)

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
As above really, we recommend changing them all in one go, you can then keep the remaining good ones as spares. They are normally around £25+VAT each (well they are over here anyway :) )

Waynecoport

I had a whole new coilpack 3 months ago and now one's gone again. The garage replaced it cus it was under warranty but 2 miles down the road it went again. It's the same coil going each time. Would i rectify this by changing all of them or is it usually the next coil in line to go?

liquid

more like 60GBP over here :cry:
Anyhow ive got the third one replaced today under warrenty (reminder i did not pay for the other 2 either), so all is good for now... till the last one bites the dust.

quick question though, is it safe to drive on 3 cylinders as when the last one dies on me? yesterday i had like a 15miles run to the garge to get that replaced on 3 cylinders, low revs and tried to put as less gas as i could into it, while it was all shaking and rumbling :\??

im kinda scared next time to break the engine or damge it in anyway...

btw, when its loosing the coil the engine light starts going on and off evrey second, i assume that is normal.

also, wheres the best place to get vagcom + cable from? ive seen the cable on ebay, not sure it fits too well to my car... so just wanted to be sure which one i should get as there are many sort of cables..?

Thanks for the awesome replays!

Avi.[B)]

Dizzey1

ah the coil pack!!!
bought my car - april, drove it back to south devon form macclesfield, after 2 days, major engine probs, (before i logged onto here!!) had 3 coils replcaed but it was under warranty!!

the enging light is now on agian, i thought i was another coil pack, but i am going to have the code read this evening so should be clearer then!! will prob replace packs anyway!!!
is there much to be gained from using the tt ones? would that only be worth it if i were to replace all 5 at once?
does anyone have a part no - supplier ref for either coils??

liquid

ive been talking to an awesome tuner from around here, and hes been saying that i should just keep on replacing the coils to the original ones. (under warrenty offcourse)

He also claims there is no real diffrence from the ones sold on the TT`s, so im sorry for misleading anyone just needed to clear this thing out.

dizzey keep me updated whatsup with the coils woould like to know how that works out for ya.

peace.

Dizzey1

went ot get the code read last, night, but having plugged the machine in it said that there were no faults to read!!!! :cry: :cry:
HOw bizzare,anyway the car has lost power and is not well :ill: so i am now going to take it to volkscraft in Exeter to see if they can sort it out!!!
will keep you posted on how i get on!!!
:santa:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizzey1

went to volkscraft on saturday, apparently all the coilpacks were replaced when they wetn a few months ago - the mystery problem is the secondary air pump! wicked, only a bout £300 to replace, man am i gutted! :cry:

amnyway now have to fuigure out how to fix that, and whilst clenaing on sunday, noticed the drivers seat footweel is damp, guess i'll be needing to do the door seasl as well! :cry:

good job i get some time off over X-mas

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise