I think I found the best tyres for the Altea FR

FR Tim

After much research and having had some shocking tyres on the Altea before I decided to take a look to see what would be best for this rubbish weather we are having and also some nice sticky tyres for when it actually does clear up.

I plumped for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (reinforced), I have to say they are probably the best tyre I have ever used, on my Supra and Celica 190 I used to Pzero's and they were good, these are quite frankly in a league of their own!

So, if you want some tyres that handle the power of the FR and really put it in a league of it's own when it comes to cornering and stopping then do as I did and invest in some!

Just thought I would let you all know! ;)

FR Tim

Well, in my opinion, lots of people make the mistake of doing loads of mods to their cars and then missing the most important component, the bit that attaches the car to the road - tyres. I had some non-descriptive tyres on there before and I didn't actually realise how bloody dangerous they were until they started wearing and it got a bit wet..... had a fairly bad moment off a roundabout....

I had read these tyres can wear but this isn't a 400bhp RWD monster and I don't tend to drive it like a rally car so they should last for a while, I'll report back :)

Saying that, I have been looking at the Revo remap (recently the price dropped to £399 so even more tempting) and that may very well chew these tyres up a bit quicker but as long as they keep sticking to the road I don't mind :)

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
They're looking a little low after 9k, probably only got another couple of K in them.....

loadswine

loadswine
I only got my Goodyears to last 9 or 10k on the front. Pretty decent for grip for sure. Took nearly 1000 miles for them to give their best grip, but great after that.
I hated the Bridgestones that I had originally, very noisy! I am trying Falken 452s on the front at the moment and they compare quite favourably to the Goodyears, though you do get a bit of tyre squeal sometimes when you apply more throttle.
( I'm running similar power to an FR, as my 140 has been remapped)

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Goodyears are excellent for grip,especially in the wet!
A few have blown out though which is worrying!
I may try the Falkens next,heard a lot of good feedback on them :)

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Greetings,
Having managed to get 20k out of my F1's on the front now am now looking to replace them in the next couple of weeks with either more of the same, but as always am curious to see what else is out there, So anyone out there running Firestone TZ200's ?? They got a best buy from Autoexpress I think in 07 and are supposed to be v. quiet and fuel efficient also according to Blackcircles website, Continentals have just been awarded a best buy by Which magazine.
Any experince out there of either ??

Cheers
Mark

mart4875

Had Contis fitted to my Saab and was the first time I had experienced them on a car but can honestly say they were the best I have ever had fitted.

Great in the wet and dry.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Have gone for Dunlop 9090's! they seem ok so far,no noticeable road noise,but their only on the back atm,so will update when i swap to the front soon :)

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Went for Falken 452's in the end as got a pair of Blackcircles fitted for 155quid which is a good price for 225/45 17 's good reviews and quieter at the moment than the goodyears !!!
Now to book me 60K service...

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Hi guys,
I went up a size on my Altea Sport to 235/45-17, and after trying many different makes, I now always go for Dunlop 9000 Sport. Get really good miles & as an all around tyre, grip is good wet or dry. I usually pay £69+vat each so cost is good too (even though I don't pay - its a company car!).
HTH

jonespxx

Swapped the OE bridestones for toyo proxes4 10k ago. Transformed the car, grip and the handling. Granted that I got more miles out of the Bridestones but they were noisy as hell and like a giraffe on ice skates in the wet. I got the reinforced ones as I do a lot of fast motorway and run high pressures. Can not rate the Toyos highly enough.

ray big blue

just had 2 continental premium contacts fitted to the front and was quite shocked at how much of an improvement they were over the bridgestones very good tyres.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Have Goodyear Eagle F1's on front also, they are a good tyre esp in the rain, but they're no where near as good the Ultrac Sessanta's I had on before, which I couldnt get in a hurry.

Ultrac Sessanta's all the way!

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
Got the TDI Ref Sport serviced on Friday at www.jkm.org.uk and was informed that three of the four tyres where on 1mm and the other on 2mm. So it was time to shop around for some new rubber. Thought I might need some as was getting rather noisy, but was hopeful might last until the the new year. Managed to get 20k out of the Bridgestone Turanza's. Glad to see the back of them actuallly.

Anyway got 4 x Falken 912's fitted, balanced and alignment check all in for £ 250.

What a difference, so much quieter

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Have Goodyear Eagle F1's on front also, they are a good tyre esp in the rain, but they're no where near as good the Ultrac Sessanta's I had on before, which I couldnt get in a hurry.

Ultrac Sessanta's all the way!

Auto Express recently had a tyre test, Sessanta's came out top. I'll be trying some next.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.