Ibiza cooling fan issue

rallyesport

hi i have a vehicle in my care at the moment which a few of you may know of, its a grey X plate Cupra with a long list of mods and was recently bought by a mate of mine from a guy who lives in wales.

anyway, the last week or so the cooling fan has stopped working (the one on the radiator). would anyone be so kind as to either let me have a wiring diagram of the fan circuit, or the fuse number(s) and location, or let me know whether the fan is controlled by a switch in the coolant or by the ECU from a temp sensor?

any help much appreciated :)

Jun 28, 2001
fuses on top of the battery and runs off the sensor on the rad itself and control module under lhf chassis leg

more than likely the fusebox itself as 9 times out of 10 it is

rallyesport

is it those fuseable link things, or controlled by a normal blade fuse? im a Ford tech myself and it looks a lot like the same idea as they used on the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra, and i know by my own experience they are a bloody nightmare lol.

Is the cooling fan giving up a common problem on these then?

Jun 28, 2001
Ford tech:ban::p
its the blade fuses that go but really look at the box itself, you cant open it up but run the car up to temp and hold and flex the fuse box the fans should come on.

is water also flowing in the header??

rallyesport

[B)]

thanks for your quick replies and your help, ill have a look tomorrow.

the cooling system itself seems fine, there is definately water flowing through the head, and when driving it its fine, it heats up as quick as you would expect, and the needle on the gauge doesnt go higher than halfway until you sit in traffic for a few mins, then the temp starts rising as you would expect but the fan doesnt switch on.

if it was mine personally id switch it off when the car wasnt moving and live with it but you know what women are like lol

BlowNdoh

You might want to test the fan first by disconnecting them and running them straight from the battery.
Then you can test the thermostatic switch on the radiator by disconnecting the wiring plug at the switch and bridgeing the two connectors with a suitable length of wire. Thermostatic switches normally fail open so the fans will not operate.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.