ibiza cupra r info please

steven878

Jan 2, 2009
hey people new to this website and just looking for a bit of info before i make my mind up. recently bought the mrs a vw golf gti 20v turbo, not sure if its 150 or 180 but was very suprised in how it pulled for a completely standard car. so iv been thinking of buying a ibiza cupra r but want about 300 to 320bhp out of it but getting confused on tuning with about 10 different turbos that you can fit etc. so im really just looking for some info on waht would be best to use to reach the figures i would want and how much it would cost to do so? also would appreciate an info on what to llok out for when buying one and things that usually go wrong with them.

thanks
steven

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Welcome Steven

For info on the Ibiza your better off posting in the Ibiza section.
You will need to fit a bigger turbo to get the figures you want so reading other like questions on the big turbo section will help you aswell.
BUT

for a quick run down of the basic of want you need then...

3" DP, 200 CELL race CAT and freer flowing system
Big FMIC (Front Mounted Intercooler)
Race clutch
Big induction system
4 BAR FPR (fuel pressure regulator)
Bigger injectors
Bigger MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter)
Big ass turbo like Garret GT28RS or bigger or IHI
Custom mapping.
Basically you won't see much change out of £10,000.

Thats before fitting a diff to handle all the power

BUT you will have an awesome car that will sacre most things on the road that can be stripped out to about 1,000 Kgs
There are a few cars for sale at the monent with this already done and read to drive.

steven878

Jan 2, 2009
cheers mate seems alot of money to invest for a moderately tuned wee car. seems you get 250bhp cheap enough. i guess 300bhp needs a full engine rebuild, etc? so with power to weight in mind it wont be much quicker than my pulsar.

Dec 31, 2005
London
does it have to be an R? the only difference between them and the normal cupras are red seatbelts and brakes and as standard the R runs 180bhp but if you're going BT none of this matters as you should get better brakes anyway and an R ecu wont map any higher than a standard cupra.

id buy one with a big turbo already on it, like an ihi, internals dont need to be changed unless going more than 340ish, depends on if you want to chance it, some have and have been lucky but peace of mind i wouldnt go over 330 without internals done.

check out pj1985's ihi for sale, i was looking at buying it before i p/x'd for what ive got now.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198138

steven878

Jan 2, 2009
is that the silver one? dont want another silver car had 3 in 2 years want either black or yellow, but it must be mint and low mileage. only seen 1 i like but its 350 miles from where i live to find its in bad nick or been smashed, etc. why is 300bhp so expensive?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Because its a hell of a lot of BHP for such a small car.
And theres no point in having all that BHP and not being about to put this power down or handle the extra torsional forces.
People seem to have forgotten that 300 BHP is a hell of a lot. If you strip out the Ibiza to say 1,100 kgs with 300 BHP thats 272 BHP/Ton, a E46 M3 is 269 BHP/Ton.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
300bhp+ with a big turbo is a different world to 250bhp on a k03s if it will even really make that as most don't. The extra power, wider power band and what it turns the car into compared to other things on the road is why people spend the money. It also brings such a big smile to your face.

Don't forget you need full exhaust, injectors, intercooler, full suspension, big brakes, whatever turbo kit and mapping you want and most importanty a diff to help get the power down. Thats without fitting. Thats before monitoring things and all the other smaller things such as air filter, tip etc etc. Considering just the turbo kit will be at least £3k normally you are talking anywhere between £7k-£10k to have a fully speced up big turbo car.

check out pj1985's ihi for sale, i was looking at buying it before i p/x'd for what ive got now.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198138

Thanks mate.

Nothing wrong with Silver if I do say so myself ;) and there are not many Ibizas with real big turbo and 300bhp+ around for sale at the moment. Really loving her in at the moment with this cold weather so its going to be even harder to let somebody drive off in her.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Because its a hell of a lot of BHP for such a small car.
And theres no point in having all that BHP and not being about to put this power down or handle the extra torsional forces.
People seem to have forgotten that 300 BHP is a hell of a lot. If you strip out the Ibiza to say 1,100 kgs with 300 BHP thats 272 BHP/Ton, a E46 M3 is 269 BHP/Ton.

Mk3 Ibizas book weight is only 1150kgs and it does not take much to get it down further if you want to.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Mk3 Ibizas book weight is only 1150kgs and it does not take much to get it down further if you want to.

its not accurate an book tho. ;)

stripped mine weighed 1157kg with a cage in it and no interior. (pre-back to shell rebuild)
the mk3 ibiza cupra is heavier than you think.

For steve:
BT is ~£4k for 300-350bhp at which level you then need to think about internals before going further, which can be another £4k but good for whatever you can throw at it

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise