Ibiza FR 1.2 tsi EPC fault light and emissions fault light

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Hey everyone

My 2012 ibiza 1.2 tsi FR has developed a fault and the epc and emissions light is coming on, lack of power also. Have generally been able to clear the fault but it's getting worse and more common.

Initially it was just epc light on but now both.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cars booked in with dealership on Wednesday.

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Had this 2 times on my 2012 1.2TSI 77kw Ibiza.
Both times they replaced the turbo under warranty.
It was caused by a faulty valve on both occasions.

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Had this 2 times on my 2012 1.2TSI 77kw Ibiza.
Both times they replaced the turbo under warranty.
It was caused by a faulty valve on both occasions.

Same age and same spec as mine. Will report back with findings on Wednesday, just hope its nothing too serious or something they can't find.

Did yours make any unusual noises when faulty? I've had several different combos of fault lights.

Few times with just epc, couple with epc and emissions light and once just emission light. All very odd.

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Negative, no noises.

Allthough on both occasions, the car had been idle ( parked ) for a week. Then, after the first startup after idle time, EPC light comes on, no power and took ages to accelerate. Somethimes switching on/off the ignition helped to resolve the situation but as you said, it got worse and in the end even switching on/off didn´t help to clear the error.

Last edited:

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Yeah similar issues.

Well the dealer rang this afternoon and said the traced the fault to a faulty boost sensor. They were checking over things still so will pick it up in the morning.

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Update, dealer rang this morning and told me would need a new turbo, mine wasn't in good condition.

There must be something wrong with the design on these engines as quite a few of us are having the same or similar issues, mainly around the turbo.

adamstreeter

Feb 10, 2010
Update, dealer rang this morning and told me would need a new turbo, mine wasn't in good condition.

There must be something wrong with the design on these engines as quite a few of us are having the same or similar issues, mainly around the turbo.

Good luck! had mine done last week out of warrenty. Seat contributed to the replacement and cost me £106 in the end.

first_timer

Jan 5, 2015
Checked in at local Seat dealer today for diagnosis of EPC and emissions lights on my 2013 Ibiza FR 1.2Tsi. Result - wastegate actuator failure found, car taken off the road.

Was told this is a tamper-proof part which Seat does not allow to be replaced, so a complete turbo assembly is needed. Now the bad news - they are on back order! Considering how many VAG models use the 1.2Tsi engine, this seems to be serious. Is it just a temporary blip in the supply chain? Or are we waiting for a revised unit which won't go the same way?

first_timer

Jan 5, 2015
I was fearful of a long wait, but Seat Lincoln located a turbo within 48 hours. Back on the road now. Good luck with yours.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I was fearful of a long wait, but Seat Lincoln located a turbo within 48 hours. Back on the road now. Good luck with yours.

I guess I'm fortunate as mine is still drivable. The error comes and goes with an engine restart.

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Blimey I must have been lucky. My local dealership said they've not come across this fault before with turbos but seems odd there's loads of us having same issue with same engine.

I wonder if Seat are making a new version of the turbo hence the lack of them?

first_timer

Jan 5, 2015
I guess I'm fortunate as mine is still drivable. The error comes and goes with an engine restart.

Mine started like that. In fact I found I could avoid the EPC light and limp mode by turning the key quickly, so the engine would start before the ignition checks were completed. But the workshop manager thought it was possible that I could lose power suddenly and wasn't happy for me to continue driving it, even though I made it to the dealer without needing a tow truck.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Mine started like that. In fact I found I could avoid the EPC light and limp mode by turning the key quickly, so the engine would start before the ignition checks were completed. But the workshop manager thought it was possible that I could lose power suddenly and wasn't happy for me to continue driving it, even though I made it to the dealer without needing a tow truck.

Thanks I'll remember that if it gets worse! I've got a new Leon on order, wouldn't have normally bothered getting it fixed at this stage but my Leon is still good 6 weeks away. :(

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Now fixed, new turbo and ecu update. Engine now seems to idle at lower revs than it did previously after the update. Garage said the final bill for the warranty was close to £2000.

adamstreeter

Feb 10, 2010
Do we knoif the replacements being fitted are updated versions? Or is it only a matter of time before it goes again? Cars coming up to major service and 3 new tyres and wondering if it is worth investing in it or consider other options. Car already out of warranty so if it goes again not sure how helpful seat would be...

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
It said EX Man turbo on the job list. No idea what it previously had sorry...

Tonyr199

Mar 4, 2017
Good luck! had mine done last week out of warrenty. Seat contributed to the replacement and cost me £106 in the end.

I've got the same problem just happened on my 2012 Ibiza 1.2tsi ! was just wondering what mileage your car was when they carried out the work as seat are not playing ball at the moment just want a bit of back up. Although the chap on the desk had never heard of this problem before when I asked the mechanic before it even went in to the garage what he thought it was and he confirmed the turbo actuator backed up by the diagnostics later on, I'm sure they know they have a problem! Although my car is nearly 5 years old it's only done 28000 . :shrug:

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.