Ibiza FR Test Drive

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hey guys,

I've come over from the Leon side to let you guys know my opinion on the New Ibiza FR.
I went into the dealers on Sunday to drop the voucher for £50 off as I recommended a friend to buy a car from there and asked if I could have a look round the Candy White FR they had. I didn't expect to drive it but having bought 2 cars from there, he let me. I can honestly say, wow! I never expected it to be like it was, 150bhp was there all the time, no flatspots, the DSG picks up straight away and sport mode was epic. I will go as far to say that the new FR is quicker then my current Leon 2.0TDI FR550. So, I will be going back on Friday for a longer test drive and if I still have that smile on my face, I think it will be the Cupra for me. I prefer the wheels on the FR but apart from that, the seats were excellent, great, grippy steering wheel and with everything I'm used too on my FR like ESP and TPM etc I think it will be perfect, and I'm sure it will have to be in Orange with black wheels to match those mirror caps and grill :D

Danny.

collegeboy09

Moving along with 215bhp
Sep 18, 2009
Northants
I had a test drive in the fr the other day and iv got to see its a quick car, on the coutry roads a was driving on it handled absolutely perfectly, the dsg gearbox is brilliant, in D,S and manual mode, they each have there perfect place, D for ound town, S for quick roads and the manual for twisty roads.

Im moving over from an Audi A3 and this is so much more refined and nicer to drive, needless to say i bought one, in fact i bought it on looks and drove it after.

Candy white is the colour i ordered in, so i dont suppose you could take some pics when you go back?

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Here's a quick review u might wanna take a look at. I cant post links yet cuz i aint posted 15 time but type "SEAT Ibiza Cupra v Renaultsport Clio 200 v Abarth 500" in to YouTube. Its worth a watch n u can hear the lovely growl from the Cupra engine n the quick gear change.

Ibizacupra09

If you liked the FR you'll absolutely love the Cupra :D

I had a test drive in 1 last Saturday and it was 35 minutes of pure enjoyment, I walked back in to the show room grinning ear from ear and put my order in and I collect it 2pm on Monday. CAN'T WAIT!!!:D :D

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
If you liked the FR you'll absolutely love the Cupra :D

I had a test drive in 1 last Saturday and it was 35 minutes of pure enjoyment, I walked back in to the show room grinning ear from ear and put my order in and I collect it 2pm on Monday. CAN'T WAIT!!!:D :D

How did you manage to get one so quick? Was it a showroom car or?

Danny.

lc4geoff

FR TDI
Jan 12, 2008
Portadown, N. Ireland
I drove a Bocanegra today. That is a quick car and the induction noise inside when you boot it hard is something else. It was much much louder than i expected, I was shocked. The DSG gearbox was a lot better than I expected too and I loved the fact that it blips the throttle when you change down.
Has anyone driven a new FR and Cupra back to back yet?
The FR they had in wasn't PDI'd so I couldn't get a drive in it and I'm wondering is there much difference in the two?

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Driven the FR its much quieter, I do like the gearbox. Its good fun!

Can't wait to hear one in real life rather than on youtube.

Such a beasty car!

EDIT:

Just watched that vid. All the reviews i've watched say they dont like the DSG and 7-speed is too much for the car.

Having driven the slower FR version I really didn't feel this. When in manual mode you only use gears 3-5 MAX on the twisties. 7th gear is like an overdrive.

Last edited:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Right, had another go tonight guys and it's still a wow car :D
Went for a longer run, in town traffic, motorway and a and b roads. I still love the car and that Cupra will only be quicker still :)
I didn't manage to get pictures as it was nearly dark and my phone isn't great.
The only issue I have is in crawling traffic it has a tendency to change to second and back to first too often and from second to first is often jerky aswell. Other then that, it was lovely and handles sooo much better then my heavy Leon.
Will be going for Yellow Cupra with Bi-Xenons, bluetooth kit, conv pack and sunroof next year, and a set of those FR alloys :D
Only issue I had with Boc was the exhaust, which is the same as the Cupra, on the pics it looks great but the two little pipes inside that chrome rim look like that bog standard pipes you get on 1.2 corsa's and stick out quite far :( suppose they can be trimmed.

Danny.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
The FR, Cupra and Bocanegra are great cars. Got my Bocanegra Wednesday and I am only driving it in D to run the engine in, Only switching to S or the paddles after the car has warmed up. 138.5 miles covered and I love the car, the DSG is superb. In D, as soon as the gearbox can it will change gear to a higher one for economy, but it reacts when to your throttle work. It makes the car a breeze to drive in town traffic. On the motorway last night I was doing 70 in 7th gear. The trip computer displayed 43 MPG on average. I am glad I didn't go for a Clio Cup 200. This car will be easier to drive on the everyday, but still has the go when you get a good road.

The FR should be tunable to Cupra/Boc standard, according to my dealership anyway. It's personal choice which car you have but, that DSG box means you can conecentrate on the steering as all the controls for stereo... are round the steering wheel.

The hot Ibiza's are a great choice and the build quality is sublime.

ED

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Nice views ed. Any pics?

I think the more you use the DSG and the more used to it you get the faster is will become. Especially in manual mode. It takes a while to learn the engine note in a given gear and power band for best acceleration. (if that makes any sense lol)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.