Ibiza full multi stage de-swirl detail

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Today saw a SEAT Ibiza booked in for a de-swirl and clean up. The car was driven up from Leicester and looked like this after trawling up the M1 etc:

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
I decided to give some different views of the detailing with this one and have taken some shots to highlight other 'key parts' of a mutli-stage detail for you.

First job was to soak it up with some DP Xtreme foam:
IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

and we then let the foam works its magic whilst we had a brew:
IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

as the DP foam did its work I gave it a push along with the karcher before progressing onto a one bucket foam wash.:
IMG_2798.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Following the wash, we used Pinnacle Poly Clay and the foam gun, a re-soak and rinse before drying with a Cobra Guzzler towel. We then moved the car into the garage and started to tape with 3m tape:
IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

and next onto paint depth gauge inspection:
IMG_2805.jpg

This really opened a whole can of worms on this detail. The readingfs suggested the car had had a re-spray, further inspection suggests the car was actually painted twice at the factory before being fitted out.:speechles
IMG_2817.jpg

Next we switched the halogens on to inspect the swirling:
IMG_2799.jpg

First up was the metabo rotary fitted with a wolfgang polishing pad. Pinnacle Swirl remover was applied at 700rpm, worked and wiped clear for inspection and PDG readings to analyse the results. A quick re-test and I settled at using this combo but bonnet and roofed were worked at 15rpm and the rest of the car at 1100rpm.

A switch of pad to finishing pad, and polish to Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. This was applied to bonnet and roof at 1100rpm, and the rest of the car at 700rpm.

Looking swirl free, and glossy, we switched to the PC, a finishing pad and XMT finishing glaze. I showed Dave how to use this combo before letting him loose on his car undersupervision.

Whilst the XMT had some curing time I applied Megs 20 polymer sealant to the alloys and left to cure. The XMT was cleared and Collinite 845 IW was applied by hand to the car, leaving to cure. WIth the collinite curing, the alloys were wiped, the car de-taped and the tyres treated with Armor All Tire Gel. Wheel arches sprayed with Poorboys Bold n Brite.

I then used an ultra plush MF to wipe the collinite clear and Stoners invisible Glass on all exterior glass.

gazjones

looking good ian bet its a bit dissapointing when they drive off as you know its going to get dirty before he gets home in this weather!

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Great work! Shame there was not enough light by the time you finished, would've loved to see some more close up shots of the deswirling.

The halogen was very revealing in this case.

I'm going to look out for that car now!! Thats one shiny car.

I really should get in touch with you again soon (when finances permit) to get my car sorted out by March, you may remember I contacted you a few months ago with a black metallic Leon which I've had from new with some swirling!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi all!

Would like to say thanks to Iain for his work on Satarday! I'am VERY pleased with the results!

Fortunately the trip home that night was dry and Sunday morning I was able to see the the distinct improvement and quality of finish. As Iain had promised the yellow sings out and is very silky! Its also amazing how little effort is required to wash now!

The job certainly wasn't made easy by the rock hard, double thickness paint my car seams to have!:confused:

Again thanks to Iain and I definitely recommend his work!

Here's some pics I took (which do to the dull light dont do full justice to the work):

Bonnet
P1000735.jpg

P1000786.jpg

Roof
P1000741.jpg

Door
P1000784.jpg

P1000770.jpg

P1000769.jpg

P1000776.jpg

Pic took at the Petrol Station after leaving Iain's
P1000761.jpg