Ibiza Mk3 Modded airbox

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Smoothed out my Airbox and fitted a bigger air intake (80mm diameter) the other day, thought I'd share the photos:

Top and bottom both smoothed, big cut out in the bottom part to allow bigger intake to fit:
PA150001.jpg

New intake vs old:
PA150002.jpg

Fitted intake:
PA150008.jpg

PA150010.jpg

PA150011.jpg

Trimmed intake:
PA150012.jpg

Intake positioning:
PA150015.jpg

PA150019.jpg

PA150021.jpg

Finished Article:
PA150022.jpg

Last edited:

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
i have my airbox partly smoothed.. however I am just a little afraid to put an air intake either where you have it, or at the front bumper.. for the simple reason, what happens if you go through a puddle... surely the turbo will just suck pure water up and into the engine..

meaning bye bye engine I would think

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
There is a plastic inner wheel arch that is fitted after the job was finished which prevents splashing etc.
Also the intake is in exactly the same place as the original was. Remove your left inner wheel arch and have a look. That piece of foam in the arch is what held the original in place.

gazjones

looks good did you take the trumpet bit out ive done that on mine and think it alows more area to suck in are inside the airbox

glad you got pics up in the end

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
To be honest I didn't do any logs of the MAF readings before and after so I cannot back anything up scientifically. I also still have a standard filter in until I collect my Green panel filter up from badger5 on wednesday.
The DV noise is fractionally louder, but I'm hoping the engine will sound even better once the green filter is fitted.
Gazjones car sounds brilliant through his green filter and smoothed box but he runs a K03S turbo and more boost than me.

I am also waiting for some black pipe to replace the blue pipe as I would like my car to look sleeper under the bonnet.
Maybe thinking of blanking off the oil breather connection on the airbox and fitting a separate oil breather, my logic is to keep nasty oil fumes away from the MAF.

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
I just did mine at the weekend and posted up some pics of mine i have standard dv still and standard air filter and i can hear a very clear loud dv noise sounds great cant stop boosting then backing off, shud be much better when i get my dv and green panel. Oh and my green panel filter is on back order or so ive been told 2 WEEKS... god damn but hey never mind :) wickes best place for cold air feed pipe. 100mm x4m £4.99 cheap and good.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I think your dv will sound louder because your air feed was a metal pipe so it probably echoes more, looks like I'll be taking a trip to Wickes then!!

gazjones

plus the fact of the exhaust makes a hell of alot of noise lol
but i think the noise comest from how the dv opens, i think it opens much more crisply and makes what ever boots is there come out all at once where standrad one sort of leaked it out not dumping all at once! plus green filter is more flow suficent so more air will be sucked through as the pressures cange giving a nice whoosh!

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
gaz, your car sounds loud full stop!!
I meant black 20v turbo dv echo will probably be louder than mine as he used a metal foil intake rather than the plastic I have used.

Barry.L

May 11, 2006
Reading
quick question. is the blue pipe exactly replacing the standard one? its just that i thought the standard air feed runs down the wing to the intakes in the front bumper. i guess im wrong?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Barryl, Yes the blue pipe on my airbox has replaced the standard air feed. The standard air feed is in your inner wing exactly as my blue one is pictured. That dirty piece of foam is where the original was located.

paul26982

did this to my leon a while ago, for the pipe went to halfords and got therip speed air duct pipe for £6, metal, works a treat looks good too also fitted my green pannel filter

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Peter - what diameter is your tubing and where did you get it from>

I have the Wickes stuff but it breks down too easily over time and also dents too easily.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I will have a measure tomorrow, I got it from work, it was left over from some saw dust extraction.
I think badger5 sells the proper green ducting which is smooth on the inside to promote airflow.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.