Ibiza petrol Fr potential??

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I'm considering an ibiza FR as my next car, was originally going to go tdi but with the price of diesel these days, for the miles i do (only 250-300 a week) i don't really need 1.

Was just wondering what kind of performance figures the FR is capable of... I read somewhere on here that a standard one can see 200bhp easily on standard clutch, internals etc? Is this true? If not, what can it realistically see as standard. Also, what kind of torque figures would a simple remap see.

I'm not one for heavy modification just a remap would be all i'd do i think.

What kind of 0-60 time would you see from a remapped FR, also what kind of MPG would you see from a remapped fr that saw alot of erm, enthusiastic driving?

Cheers.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Standard FR's run at 150bhp but with a few mods you will see 200bhp (remap, filter, DV, pd160 intake, exhaust etc.) The list is endless really when it comes to things you can do...
I do not have experience of a remap yet :)whistle:) but most people on here go for PTorque, Revo or Custom Code.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
My petrol FR only does 100 ish miles a week and it's the right engine for that sort of mileage IMO, better mpg than a 1.4 if you drive it jentle. and goes well if you stretch it's legs.

Quality engine, low 40's MPG if you tickle it on the cruise and 25 if you rag it.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I find I get good mpg if I rag it. It's all the stopping and starting which kills mpg :( Never seen as high as 40, but never less than 20 either (yet)

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
but never less than 20 either (yet)

You aint driving it properly then mate ;)

I can hit 44-45mpg on the way to work. But thats inly coz its down hill all the way :lol:
Normaly average 36-38mpg on the way to work and about 24-28mpg on the way home.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
Was just wondering what kind of performance figures the FR is capable of... I read somewhere on here that a standard one can see 200bhp easily on standard clutch, internals etc? Is this true? If not, what can it realistically see as standard. Also, what kind of torque figures would a simple remap see.
Mine ended up at 213bhp / 317nm running at 1.2bar. The internals of the 1.8T can handle 300bhp easily, with some even running near 400bhp without having any problems, even on really old bangers who have done 150k miles plus. It's a really strong engine.
The Ibiza FR and Cupra engines are near identical, the Ibiza FR is also the only 1.8T with the 1.8T to be fitted with the k03s as standard, get a lucky engine and it'll do up to 225bhp just with a chip, freeflow catback and an open filter :D

I love mine !

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
You aint driving it properly then mate ;)

I can hit 44-45mpg on the way to work. But thats inly coz its down hill all the way :lol:
Normaly average 36-38mpg on the way to work and about 24-28mpg on the way home.

and your not driving yours properly damo!! lol

ive had mine at an avergae of 5.8mpg after 3 runs at Santa Pod, and ive sat and watched my mpg gauge go 11....10....9...8 mpg when i stretch her legs!! :funk: lol

at the end of the day, you can do whatever you want to any engine, it just depends how deep your pockets are!! Rashcupra, who has since sold his mk4 cupra was running approx 340/350bhp on his, but had been talking about going 4 wheel drive and then upping the power to over 400bhp!!

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Actualy Jay, rash was only running 320bhp after he had it remapped.

I've never done pod YET but I know what you mean. If I boot it the instant mpg goes down to 6 sometimes.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
I would really love to get back into the petrol turbo scene! but i do 300 miles a week at ease... That would destroy me on fuel in a petrol. My FR TDI will get me through the week on 40L's of fuel. In a petrol it would be easily 60L's i recon.

FR petrol is a nice motor.... Though it would be worth looking at the Cupra purely because of the brakes and FMIC as standard, unless the price difference is more than cost for brakes and fmic.

2 Many Ibiza's

I have a petrol '07 FR with a standard engine and i do 550+ miles a week. any engine is economical, its all about how you drive it. I work out i average 43mpg in mine which for 150bhp is pretty good, (the gauge says 47mpg average but thats wrong!) I sit at 70 on the mway and also sit in stop start traffic and get that!

I used to have a golf gttdi115 before this and the price difference means i only have to get 8mpg off my golf to break even in my FR20VT! which is the same as the golf getting 51mpg average. (although i did use to get 55mpg average in the golf). depends how you want to play it as a petrol is slightly more expensive to run.

Currently id rather have a petrol and pay that bit more for it, its well worth it imo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I have a petrol '07 FR with a standard engine and i do 550+ miles a week. any engine is economical, its all about how you drive it. I work out i average 43mpg in mine which for 150bhp is pretty good, (the gauge says 47mpg average but thats wrong!) I sit at 70 on the mway and also sit in stop start traffic and get that!

I used to have a golf gttdi115 before this and the price difference means i only have to get 8mpg off my golf to break even in my FR20VT! which is the same as the golf getting 51mpg average. (although i did use to get 55mpg average in the golf). depends how you want to play it as a petrol is slightly more expensive to run.

Currently id rather have a petrol and pay that bit more for it, its well worth it imo!

That is amazing for a petrol FR! I don't get near that driving carefully (at this time of year anyway!)

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I know its a relatively meaningless statistic, but what kind of 0-60 will a remapped FR do, and do they have trouble getting the power down when your hitting 200bhp? (trouble as in, more than any other 200bhp FWD)

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I would say a turboed car with 200bhp will finde it harder to put the power down than something like a Type R due to the torque coming in much earlyer and having alot more torque.

I know I struggle getting power down :D

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I doubt it's worse than any other fwd car, but the 1.8T is a torquey engine and 1st gear quite a short ratio. Tyres make a big difference - I noticed a massive difference when I went from Toyo T1-R to Yokohama Parada Spec 2s....but that was before I went Stage 2 and in the summer :) I went from having wheelspin in 2nd to none whatsoever (in the dry).

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
6.2 is about the best I've done so far, first and second gear always spin the wheels if you're not very careful with the power :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.