Ibiza sport 2008 1.4

Nov 18, 2020
Hi

I have seen an Ibiza sport 2008 1.4 BXW engine and its great condition and great price with low milage.

The only issue I have is with it being a sport version that the sport suspension might be too stiff as a commuter car.

Is it safe to swap all the suspension to standard suspension, will it affect camber alignment or anything or affect performance.

Also does anyone with this model notice a massive difference with the sport suspension in comparison to the standard suspension.

Thanks for any help :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm not sure to be honest, my daughter bought a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC SE, so that means that as the SC means Sports Coupe, it was 3 door and its rear suspension was "sports" version according to the "CAR DATA" print out I got from a SEAT dealership, that car also had 17" alloys, so yes the ride was a bit hard as these cars are very light. I ran it for a few years while she was working abroad and it was okay, okay the suspension was a bit firm, but not too firm for someone who was approaching retirement ago when I was using it to commute, certainly I'd not bother changing the springs, though I did need to replace all the springs due to a rear and then a front spring breaking, I attempted to replace "like with like" but from ECP, so who knows!

These cars with that engine tend to be very reliable and quite economic to run petrol wise, well for that age of car.

Edit:- the front suspension was listed on "CAR DATA" as being standard.

Reactions: Franky89
Nov 18, 2020

the car was for my mum, I've got the MK2 fabia with the same BXW engine and same everything else and I took it for a test drive and it didn't feel much different, and she was happy and said it was comfy over bumps and pot holes so she was happy to keep it as it is, I have noticed there's a ripped dust cover on the shocks so if it flags up on her MOT and I end up changing it I'll see if she want to swap the suspension while it's out.

It's a great car thro it's a lot more modern inside than the Fabia :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
And because it is so light it gets around quite well with that engine, Ibizas are spot on for stylish/modern ladies!

What do you mean by ripped dust cover, if the rear dust cover(s) have dropped down, then that will be due to the bump stop biodegrading and falling apart, as these dust covers are just gripped by the bump stops?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.