ICE upgrade to a Mk2 Leon - Help Please...

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I have a friend.........no really I do ;)

Anyhow he has a MK2 Leon and was asking me about a little ICE upgrade....

He needs some ICE advice;-
  • Ipod connector to OEM headunit
  • Better speakers

So in the spirit of the forum a little checking has been done and the list of suspects looks like;-

Ipod Connection - Dension Gateway is the most likely suspect but any alternatives without changing the headunit??? OR is changing the headunit the best bet and what are the suggestions??

With regard to the speakers this is a daily driver not an ICE show car so we are looking at DIY upgrades to add some depth and quality to the sound, replacement components etc(without stretching to Amps and Subs) what do people have / recommend??

Any help appreciated....

Last edited:

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Got some rainbow components in the back and focals in the front. I think the rainbows have a smoother sound. Lot of faff doing the tweeters though!

Poverty

double din or single din?

speakers depend on budget but you can get some really good speakers for 100 pounds.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
double din or single din?

speakers depend on budget but you can get some really good speakers for 100 pounds.

Prefer not to swap out the head unit just get something to hook the ipod into the OEM setup if poss

I think £100 would probably be a good starting point, I assume you would get something that would be a significant increase over OEM speakers for that money?

Someone mentioned Apline Type R components, anyone know if these are much cop?

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
What are we looking at money wise?

roughly?

Got both off talkaudio.co.uk secondhand - each were about £80 each.

TBH used with the standard head unit they are better, but probably not worth the effort of installing them! If you also include the cost of the speakers then the cost/benefits become quite dodgy. I am sure that if you change the head unit as well then the speakers would come into their own.

Poverty

Prefer not to swap out the head unit just get something to hook the ipod into the OEM setup if poss

I think £100 would probably be a good starting point, I assume you would get something that would be a significant increase over OEM speakers for that money?

Someone mentioned Apline Type R components, anyone know if these are much cop?

cant go wrong with alpines, should amp em and get a nice alpine headunit with ipod cable though to get the most out of them, if not get type s alpine ones.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.