IHI, 1 week in...

caveo

Just a quick update on living with the big turbo.
Well its been 1 week now and iv gone through alot off tescos rocket fuel and iv got to say im well pleased . Not just with the power ( 318 bhp / 348 lbs/ft ) but the sound is awsome through the 3" decatted zorst. Been up n down the local bypass all week ( glad its stayed dry here ) and was very pleased to pull cleanly away from a very new lookin ( 07 plate ) scooby sti :D, the guy was giving it large at the roundabout so he had to have some. When we hit the next roundabout he looked well[:@], this made it all worth while!
So if your thinkin of going big turbo ....DO IT.:clap:

willet

ihi

any chance you could share abit of info on your conversion mate? im wanting to do a conversion but never really get any sense out of mike when i go down to jbs. what sort of money are you talking about for the conversion? any info is welcome. cheers mate

caveo

from a standard 20vt your lookin at 5000 plus. but you will be well pleased with the results but if you want over 330 bhp youu must spend over 2000 just on the internals. The kit comes with the ihi turbo , high flo manifold,3"downpipe and decat,remap,forge fmic .and all the little bits n bobs including the engine mounts and 3" maf housing. If you tell me how much you want to spend i can tell you where it will get you.

cupra-J

forge fmic aint all that special...get jabbasport to put one of there intercools on n you'll hit 340 no problem with out any internal work, my m8s leon got 340bhp and 415lbs/ft

Feb 1, 2007
gloucester
i had my ibiza running at 341bhp on ihi for a year and a half, and it was on standard internals, thats rubbish IMO that you need to uprate internals when you go over 330bhp, thats just companys trying to get extra cash out of you, i know bill had his ibiza running 360 and i think that was standard internals as well

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
it was explained to me that 350 was the limit... but for safety 320 was the ideal. ive heard bill say he wouldnt go above 320ish on a customers car.

this was said about lcs not beezas. slightly different internals?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it was explained to me that 350 was the limit... but for safety 320 was the ideal. ive heard bill say he wouldnt go above 320ish on a customers car.

this was said about lcs not beezas. slightly different internals?

I deem the 320bhp level the reliable max.. as VF34 can and do eat their bearings when trying harder, as willing as they are to produce higher boost, the bearings dont thank them for it.
Internals are a factor yes, but no more than the VF34's fragile bearings.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
So over 320bhp you'd recommend doing the internals on the VF34?
Would you say the same for the garret equilvelant or is it just really about the amount of bhp being produced?

I'm new to the Big Turbo's and am looking into conversions a the minute for my ibiza so any info would be appreciated.

cupra-J

Torque sounds a tad high! Do you mean Nm not lbs/ft! lol :D

probably i'll have a look i just remember seeing 415 i'll have a look at print out when i next see him...he's got the IHI VF34

caveo

because the motor has high mileage and iv not done the internals they kept boost at 1.4bar dropping to 1.2 at 7000rpm to protect the engine ( playing it safe ) . Yes it could give more but lets not take everythung to the max or trouble will follow. It has anyway as im on a go slow at the mo as iv broken the water pump ( crapy plastic thing ) so shes back at jbs mon morning for a new metal pump and belt change ( 320 quid ) cos at the mo iv got to drive sub 3000rpm or the temp goes to 120 and takes 5mins to drop.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
any chance you could share abit of info on your conversion mate? im wanting to do a conversion but never really get any sense out of mike when i go down to jbs. what sort of money are you talking about for the conversion? any info is welcome. cheers mate

See my thread for some pics of the JBS kit --> http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150703

Caveo, just out of interest, at what revs does boost come in at on your setup?

Still need to finish the exhaust on mine. I'm learing to TIG weld at the mo, so I should have it sorted soon.

caveo

boost comes in at about 3600 ish so have to keep the revs high,which is why my water pump impreller blades are knackered.

caveo

plastic but will be metal tomorrow as the higher revs will just destroy plastic ones ( or so im told )

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Mine spools a lower than that but I'm still running the K03s jabba map.

Apparently the plastic has now been updated to a stronger type for the water pumps. So they should last but retain the ability to not junk the head if the pump bearings were to fail.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise