IHI On Mk3

Mat

Just wondering how many people have ran BTs on the Mk3? IIRC, someone had IHI on theirs (Molehill Mike I think, and the white Mk3 with black bonnet)....

Was talking to a mate the other day about hybrid etc, aiming for similar to Ian_Cupra, M87NER etc, but he suggested the option of IHI....

Opinions please........

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
You're quite right, I had an IHI and you can ask anyone who came out in it... LETHAL.

... there isn't much that comes close to the IHI performance.

It was on the limit of the standard internals... VAGCOM calculated around 347bhp, but she ran 330hp in 5th gear at a RR day.

350 is the absolute limit with the standard internals, changing them is costly. Nto sure what the others you quoet ae running, but if you go past 350, you may aswell aim for 450 due to the cost.

TBH, 330/347 is AMPLE.

Mike

Mat

cheers fella..... TBH, never read up much on IHI kits on cupra etc, most seem to be happy with Hybrid, and so was I until talking to Mike at JBS. Don't think I'm gonna change internals, so anywhere near 300 would be ok. more would be a massive bonus :D

Is there much in terms of difference in price when deciding Hybrid and IHI? Read Bills thread, and it looks to me as tho it'd cost me £2,880 for him to hybrid mine. Obviously gonna do as much as possible myself (Fule pump, TIP, MAF, Mani etc etc)

tommy2008cupra

think bills starting price for ihi conversion is 4k wish i had enough for it lol

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
keep the boost 1.2bar then 320bhp/280lbft torque... push harder and you risk bearings and housing warping

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
I think on balance, for the price a ko3hybrid is the better bet and more of an all rounder. Is the IHI laggy in comparison to a ko3hybrid Bill?

Mat

that's only thing that put me off in past, was the lag....

Hybrid is probably the most sensible of the 2 options ;)

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Yeh will be alot less if you source the parts yourself and have the supporting mods in place already like, FMIC, turbo back exhaust etc etc

Just a much more simple conversion to do over others as you dont have to mess about uprating internals, unless you want to be 100% certain, also no changing of downpipes and other bits. Will be going down this route myself ASAP, only need the turbo itself, fuel pump, engine mounts, arbs and mapping...lol, ONLY those bits! ;)

Jul 4, 2007
bristol
yer mate im in the process of doing the same i even have a shopping list. i have a second had k03 turbo thats it still have a long way to go

Mat

yeah, bit steep, but as said, source bits yourself.... LCR Fuel Pump can be picked up about £50, plus can save a bit in labour.... I aim to only pay a "pro" to do stuff I don't have the skill for such as map, and maybe fit turbo....

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
A Big Turbo Conversion is Worth the extra Wait & Cash....

My IHI is a real heart breaker and is a true weapon once on full boost 1.4bar at around 3.4krpm and holds it to the limiter...

It all depends on funds mat internals are safe on the IHI But as many people have said the low down torque is a killer...If i had to start again with the turbo's id go Prober BT everytime without a doubt...I can understand the K03s Hybrid bein a real appeal to people but tbh when you've been in a BT'd Car its all different very different tbh...

Bill Charges a drive in and Out service @ £4,000 but if you knew how to use a spanner u could get a JBS kit for £1,800 and all you'd need is downpipe and software...Or Cheaper than that if you source'd the parts yourself like me as it cost around £1,000 for the hardware on my mk3...

Jul 4, 2007
bristol
it just seems like massive money to me as i got my ibiza full stage 2 for 3500. then hybrid from 220 bhp to 280 is about 1000 i dont know maybe i need to see the bt and i wouldent even think hybrid.

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
let ian_cupra have a go in my car couple of days ago and he could not believe the difference to my gt28rs eliminator to the his hybrid, as the spool time is so large on mine he said he would have left me for dead in his hybrid ibiza making me question is it time to bite the bullet and get a ko3s hybrid, im having a go in his next week and am looking forward to it and hopefully make up my mind.

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Been in an Audi A3 with a GT28RS and though it was quick when it got going, i felt it was rather laggy. Dont think you can beat the feel of a free spooling and eager ko3/s style turbo unit. Its so frisky, going to to the hybrid routw myself

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
let ian_cupra have a go in my car couple of days ago and he could not believe the difference to my gt28rs eliminator to the his hybrid, as the spool time is so large on mine he said he would have left me for dead in his hybrid ibiza making me question is it time to bite the bullet and get a ko3s hybrid, im having a go in his next week and am looking forward to it and hopefully make up my mind.

Everyone knows that the Elimantor series are truely crap at spooling...My ihi Is on full boost at 3400rpm With Timing 4 With more timing to be had with my settling it will spool alot sooner...

Pj IHI was on full boost at around 3100rpm so the IhI series are really good at spooling and have the Low/Mid 300's too...

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
I think on balance, for the price a ko3hybrid is the better bet and more of an all rounder. Is the IHI laggy in comparison to a ko3hybrid Bill?

The IHI series Turbos are the best spooling turbo around in ''Big Turbo'' Form anyway If you wanted something around the 320-350 mark with full boost around 3000rpm & 3400rpm the IHI is the way forward....But once agian Its all down to cost..

With some WMI the Scope On bhp Is even More...I was on scooby net the other night and a lad with A Vf23,550cc Injectors,WMI And the support Mods made 367bhp at 1.3bar far enough Its on a 2.0 Displacment but the gain is there to be had...

a K03s Hybrid Will not produce 300+ Unless with some NOS...And even then after owning a hybrid the first for more power will always be there...

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.