INA mani - who has fitted one?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
As the title.

Cant remember off the top of my head if there are any of the mk4's running a INA mani.

Would just realy want to know if you needed any specioal spanners or anything?

chino-uk has recently ordered one.
i cant imagine any special spanners are need but probally a lot of patients as i cant imagine getting much movement in the tool with each turn if that makes sence.
although ratchet spanners can be a god send in spaces like round there if they fit on or in the gap.

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
I would also like to know how they perform...

In terms of drag runs what was the improvement...

otherwise i cant justify getting one...

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Yea, I know chino has one to be fitted, Alex.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted one them self realy. The eingine in the mk4 sits back on a angle that could make it hard to get at the bolts.

jamiebennett81

I would also like to know how they perform...

In terms of drag runs what was the improvement...

otherwise i cant justify getting one...

I wouldnt say drag runs are a particular realistic test in this case, as the gains on this are too small that drag runs with or without this manifold would still equate to driver skill and launching the car

As I understand it, fitment will still be the same as the MK3

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Much more room in the mk3 engine bay, T.

Pluss the engine leans back in the mk4 which dont leave much space at all.

jamiebennett81

Much more room in the mk3 engine bay, T.

Pluss the engine leans back in the mk4 which dont leave much space at all.

is there, fair enough then:)

I thought the chassis was different, but the bay layout was similar, clearly wrong lol!

the fitment of the manifold is a lot easier, than other previous manifolds (like my JBS one which required specially bent....i mean made spanners), so I was told by Bill

is there considerably less room then with the DP etc if yours leans further back?

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Aye, even fitting the down pipe was a PITA mate. Just no room to turn a spanner, even with a stubby spanner.

Been chattinmg to someone I know who has one on his mk4 and he said it is nigh on impossible to get to the nuts inbetween #2 & 3 runners :cry:

jamiebennett81

Aye, even fitting the down pipe was a PITA mate. Just no room to turn a spanner, even with a stubby spanner.

Been chattinmg to someone I know who has one on his mk4 and he said it is nigh on impossible to get to the nuts inbetween #2 & 3 runners :cry:

I think with some bent spanners it is, but its probably the tiniest amount of turn per nut

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Yea, looks like if I do get one I will have to make/modifie a spanner. Just need to find out what size spanner too.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Ric 2001 has an INA mani, not sure if he fitted it himself though, he'll have to confirm that.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
think the nuts will be 13mm Damien, seems to be a standard sorta thing with most engines, never really came across anything different. Did the mani on my old car and that was hard enough! That was on the front of the car with miles of space and plenty of room between the runners! Good luck with it!

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Ric 2001 has an INA mani, not sure if he fitted it himself though, he'll have to confirm that.

Dont think he has it fitter yet, Rich.

think the nuts will be 13mm Damien, seems to be a standard sorta thing with most engines, never really came across anything different. Did the mani on my old car and that was hard enough! That was on the front of the car with miles of space and plenty of room between the runners! Good luck with it!

Yea, that rings a bell. Seam to remember some people using M8 Nordlock washers in the past....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

the nuts are 12mm across flats as std
depending on how accurately its been machined will influence how well spanners do or dont fit. expect to struggle a bit.

JBS manifold fits to head with normal tools and greater access
When we fitted JB's INA mani it was'nt "too" bad, but RobbieC's was a complete 'mare as the fixing holes had been drilled offset to the runners.

Its kinda blind working on the mk4 compared to the mk3
mk4 ibiza installation is more akin to a leon cupra installation, just with less engine bay space

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Will find out this weekend how difficult it is; installing OEM 8L S3 mani (honed and ceramic coated) and K04...

k04 mani install is much easier access than a big bore k03 exhaust mani like THS/INA/ATP etc - you should get on ok.. removing the stock one is ok as you have access to the nuts quite well

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Bill, what size spanner/socket is requires?

Did you have to make a special shaped spanner for the mk4's?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bill, what size spanner/socket is requires?

Did you have to make a special shaped spanner for the mk4's?

I did have to add an additional crank to an already deep cranked ring spanner to fit JB's INA manifold, but the majority of the nuts were achieved with normal spanners, but a selection of them. Aid of a mirror used at times to help see what you are doing.

so long as the one you have has been machined correctly and not offset, normal spanners and the odd tweek should suffice. Its fiddly tho, no matter how you approach it.

12mm a/f is the nuts I use on these and what come off them generally.