Infotainment restarts

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
After a few months of behaving itself, yesterday morning it decided to wipe all my settings. Radio stations favourite gone, all the destinations in maps gone, bunch of other things in climate control etc.

Just remembered my name... ugh
Is 'ugh' your given name or is it short for something? šŸ¤”

Reactions: LetsForment

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
After a few months of behaving itself, yesterday morning it decided to wipe all my settings. Radio stations favourite gone, all the destinations in maps gone, bunch of other things in climate control etc.

Just remembered my name... ugh

Check if it's decided to use guest mode randomly.

If it hasn't, switch to guest mode and back to your primary user to try sync settings back from the cloud profile.

This may be worth trying also; since I don't have a subscription, I also keep the car off WiFi to force it to use the onboard modem for everything. It's more to do with removing the presence of error messages when the car is away from WiFi (perhaps it presumes it can piggy-back of my mobile hotspot, but I deny it from using my PAYG data for obvious reasons). Weird programming, won't switch modes automatically, so my thinking is just to normalize as much of the computer systems as possible to reduce unreliability.

Personally not surprised though, we're only just beginning to see the downsides of the industry's obsession over IoT design.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Check if it's decided to use guest mode randomly.

If it hasn't, switch to guest mode and back to your primary user to try sync settings back from the cloud profile.

This may be worth trying also; since I don't have a subscription, I also keep the car off WiFi to force it to use the onboard modem for everything. It's more to do with removing the presence of error messages when the car is away from WiFi (perhaps it presumes it can piggy-back of my mobile hotspot, but I deny it from using my PAYG data for obvious reasons). Weird programming, won't switch modes automatically, so my thinking is just to normalize as much of the computer systems as possible to reduce unreliability.

Personally not surprised though, we're only just beginning to see the downsides of the industry's obsession over IoT design.
I barely scratch the interconnectivity facilities which could be why I have yet to encounter reboots and shutdowns.
šŸ¤”
Or I'm just fortunate. šŸ˜šŸ‘

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Never used WiFi, it's always only ever used the internal service. Does not look like guest mode issue either, done half a dozen trips with it and the settings are not back. And just did a switch to guest then back after the trip was over to my regular user. No joy.

It's on 1899, maybe I need to press a bit.and get the newer version

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Today I had the first infotainment restart on this car - production July.'23, delivery 1 month ago, 1.600 km onboard today. I knew about the "moody" behavior of the Infotainment from my previous car (Octavia mk4) that was delivered with SW v.1869 and began restarting randomly after an OTA update. It was solved at the dealership with an upgrade to v.1941. That's why I checked when I took the delivery of the Formentor that it has SW 1940 - it does...
The behavior pre-reboot was a bit strange:
- since yesterday evening when I plugged it for charging, I lost any update in the Cupra Connect App. I checked it several times, it was showing the car is charging, but battery still at the same level... even after I went into the parking to disconnect it (a few chargers there available for all the users of the underground parking, so it's nice to unplug your car when it's charged). So I assumed the App servers are down again - as it happened before - but with a relevand difference: when the servers are down the App sais "cannot connect", only this time it was showing full car status, it was even refreshing car status on request - but it was the wrong status!
- this morning it was showing the same status: connected for charging :rolleyes: and battery below 50%.
- I had a short trip this afternoon; it was fine for the first 3-5 minutes, then while stationary at a red light I lost the radio sound. Since it never happened on this car before I tried switching stations (stupid me!!!) but there was no reaction from the MiB. That instant I got flash-backs from the Octavia :scary: - realised what was going on just before getting the first error message on the VC: "Audio unavailable". Then I got the entire series of errors related to all the Assist systems on the car (and I have the full Assist package... :cry: that's a lot of errors). THEN i got the reboot...
- once the MiB back on, I checked the Cupra Connect on my phone: the updated info was there - battery full and disconnected from charger.

Thinking backwards, I assume there was a heads-up earlier this week, when I got "Changing User Settings" one morning when I started the car. There was no reason to change any setting, I'm always using the same key, it was me - the same idiot behind the wheel!
Sorry for the long post, but now I'm contemplating the unbelievable deal I've made!!! I got rid of the Octavia that had this (identical) fault AFTER I managed (or Skoda managed) to fix the problem. And got the new Formentor that I was hoping no longer suffers from childhood faults.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-28 at 19.18.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-28 at 19.18.10.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

slapheed

Jun 25, 2022
the infotainment system in the Formentor is the worst i've ever experienced. The restarts, the random complete loss of sound, laggy screens, lots of bugs in there. I love the car otherwise so I try not to let it bother me.

dan.cupra

Nov 5, 2023
After the latest OTA which was 2.3Gb, this issue with infotainment restarting 15-30sec after starting the car seems to be fixed now. Also that update brought up a nicer resolution for the infotainment which I find it very cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3519.jpeg
    IMG_3519.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3536.png
    IMG_3536.png
    116 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Fr2013

Cuprashire

May 20, 2022
Took the Tormentor in as I was getting a periodic 'Maneuver Braking Not Available' when starting and the light would disappear after a bit. Plus I had 1899 and thought it might be related.

Deal said no issue with the braking, but he thought a software upgrade might help. I went up to 1940 and then they told me it wasn't correctly calling HQ to advise this VIN had an upgrade, but it might be there end. However, he did tell me a new fault had shown that the overhead light/SOS unit needed to be replaced. How odd it didn't show when they first plugged it in....anyway we'll see how it goes.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
My 2022 build Formentor has been rebooting on and off for a few months now. Iā€™ve mostly ignored it as it only does it once or twice at the start of a trip, and very few and far between.
However, today I took a trip to the shop and it rebooted none stop all the way there. Once it rebooted, loads of lights on the dash, parking sensors not available, manoeuvre braking not available, road sign recognition not available, SOS error, visit workshop, amongst others!
Got to the shop and the infotainment finally died. Screen completely black and couldnā€™t even reset by holding the power button down. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
I thought it would have sorted itself by the time I got out of the shop and restarted but no.
Called my local dealer, canā€™t get me in until January. Called two other dealers locally and also no availability until February.
So I thought ā€œsod thisā€ and rang Cupra CS for a moan.
CS advised that they canā€™t do anything about lead times and itā€™s up to the dealers blah blah blah but they could get breakdown assistance out to me and if required they will recover it to my local dealer.
VW group specific AA guy turned up about an hour later, saw the car had absolutely **** itself and agreed that it needed to be recovered to dealer as I could not work the interior ventilation (screen not working) should I need to demist the cabin.
His recommendation was that the software was updated to 1940 from the 1896 it is currently on.
Took to dealer and dropped off at Enterprise on the way home to pick up my included hire car which is a Q2.

Very impressed with the VW assistance service but not so impressed thatā€™s what it had to come to just to get ahead of the January/February lead time to even be seen by a dealer!
Ironically, itā€™s now at the dealer that couldnā€™t see me until January anyway :ROFLMAO:

Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround!

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Ref the post above (didn't want to quote it all), I've not needed Cupra CS / breakdown yet thankfully but had a similar experience with Land Rover (there's a surprise), albeit for a minor issue. If the car needs dealer attention don't waste time calling around the dealers, call the manufacturer breakdown service and as with Cupra the AA turned up, couldn't fix it so booked the car in (took it over myself) and you get a nice hire car rather than whatever the dealer has hanging around. JLR even keep the Enterprise (LR in my case) cars at the dealer for these eventualities - some may say this is a frequent occurrence.

Moral of the story - don't bother calling the dealer, call CS / the breakdown service out straight away.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
My 2022 build Formentor has been rebooting on and off for a few months now. Iā€™ve mostly ignored it as it only does it once or twice at the start of a trip, and very few and far between.
However, today I took a trip to the shop and it rebooted none stop all the way there. Once it rebooted, loads of lights on the dash, parking sensors not available, manoeuvre braking not available, road sign recognition not available, SOS error, visit workshop, amongst others!
Got to the shop and the infotainment finally died. Screen completely black and couldnā€™t even reset by holding the power button down. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
I thought it would have sorted itself by the time I got out of the shop and restarted but no.
Called my local dealer, canā€™t get me in until January. Called two other dealers locally and also no availability until February.
So I thought ā€œsod thisā€ and rang Cupra CS for a moan.
CS advised that they canā€™t do anything about lead times and itā€™s up to the dealers blah blah blah but they could get breakdown assistance out to me and if required they will recover it to my local dealer.
VW group specific AA guy turned up about an hour later, saw the car had absolutely **** itself and agreed that it needed to be recovered to dealer as I could not work the interior ventilation (screen not working) should I need to demist the cabin.
His recommendation was that the software was updated to 1940 from the 1896 it is currently on.
Took to dealer and dropped off at Enterprise on the way home to pick up my included hire car which is a Q2.

Very impressed with the VW assistance service but not so impressed thatā€™s what it had to come to just to get ahead of the January/February lead time to even be seen by a dealer!
Ironically, itā€™s now at the dealer that couldnā€™t see me until January anyway :ROFLMAO:

Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround!
My car is back. Was a very quick turnaround. Seems to now be sorted and more responsive.

Things noticed so far moving to 1940 - parking sensor bongs are different sounding now and the CarPlay resolution is higher. Thatā€™ll take some getting used to!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members