Infotainment screen does not turn on.

Jan 24, 2021
Hi all my wife took delivery of a MK4 FR 10 Sep 20. 14 Days later the Infotainment screen decided not to come on, at the same time we also had the following warnings, Parking sensors not working, Front assist not available and SOS not available. The car was returned for a “Software Update”. By December the car had the following issues. Apple car play would only work when it wanted, the aircon had a mind of its own and would blow hot one side and cold the other even both were set to the same temp. The boot would only open half way you had to push it up to open all the way. the dealership had it back and in fairness fixed the aircon gave it another “software update” and said that was how the boot was designed! 2 weeks ago my wIfe who is a nurse was leaving work at 2230. it was -3’c and the car was totally frozen and the infotainment decided not to work again! The short cut button on the light panel wouldn’t work so she had no way to de-mist and de-ice her windscreen. In addition to this all the same warning came on again.

She has now lost total trust in the car. We have told both SEAT UK, SEAT Finance and the dealership of our wish to return the car under consumer law. Two weeks later we are still stuck with the car with SEAT, SEAT Finance and the dealership each blaming each other for the delay. The car is dangerous and in the last two weeks has had the problem another 2 times. we have been offered an Ibiza by the dealership but we need a Leon sized car. Nothing has been offered by SEAT UK

Does anyone have any hint or tips who we can now talk to, to get this sorted.

Tell

Staff member
Technically you could try the long press on the infotainment unit (on/off button) about 10 seconds or so, that forces a restart so if anything is stuck in the settings it may clear it. If it's a PCP car dealers have a habit of claiming the issue is between you and the finance company since the car belongs to Seat. Feels like the domain of the Telegraphs Honest John... if the dealership though it was a technical issue then could take the view its between the finance company and you if it's a PCP car and not told you that. That was the old TSI 150 issue when dealers didn't want to know.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yes even in the leon mk3 the infotainment doesnt work in the cold

i always felt the mk4 would suffer the same fate and the fact the heating controls are adjusted by the infotainment always thought it may be a problem waiting to happen.

what a bunch of morons car designers are, when the general numpty public like myself can see the writing on the wall

Reactions: Woody_72
Jan 24, 2021
Technically you could try the long press on the infotainment unit (on/off button) about 10 seconds or so, that forces a restart so if anything is stuck in the settings it may clear it. If it's a PCP car dealers have a habit of claiming the issue is between you and the finance company since the car belongs to Seat. Feels like the domain of the Telegraphs Honest John... if the dealership though it was a technical issue then could take the view its between the finance company and you if it's a PCP car and not told you that. That was the old TSI 150 issue when dealers didn't want to know.
Sorry for my ignorance but what Can Honest John do? As I’m unfamiliar with this site? Thanks I’m advance.

Tell

Staff member
Sorry for my ignorance but what Can Honest John do? As I’m unfamiliar with this site? Thanks I’m advance.

That's the Daily Telegraph Agony Aunt but good on consumer rights. The other avenue is Citizen Advice... not sure how how they are operating with the Covid pandemic.

Suspect fault issues are between you and the PCP company if its a PCP car, thats how the industry did it before on the TSI 150 engine (let people live with it till they got out the software fix), but if you want to reject the car outright that will be with the dealer via written communication.

Honest John runs a website now as well as the Telegraph work with paid staff

He's quite good at telling people how to do legal stuff.

The other approach is to go to Seat UK Customers services and go up the chain till you speak to the head of customer services. Each dealer has an area client relations manager and Seat UK know the problems ones. The Enfield one they knew about which is now out of business (had a chat about them once). So they can bring pressure down from above throu if things aren't happening. Doing a deal over mis built cars is something they can resolve if the dealership won't offer you something.

I suggest you try the Seat UK Customer Services with an eye on rejecting the car within the time period you can. Sounds like they should offer you a like for like car while that one is repaired or you go down the full refund route.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Unfortunately the Gloom and Doom Merchants (me included) predicted this as being a potential own goal in putting everything on the 'IPad on the dash'.
As BigJase states, if we could see it, why couldn't the designers?

Reactions: Philk

Tell

Staff member
Yes even in the leon mk3 the infotainment doesnt work in the cold

i always felt the mk4 would suffer the same fate and the fact the heating controls are adjusted by the infotainment always thought it may be a problem waiting to happen.

what a bunch of morons car designers are, when the general numpty public like myself can see the writing on the wall

Mib2 high always works in the cold :love:... mib2 standard we got it garaged. Probably firmware issues if the standard is more unreliable unless the high units are built better, cost more, standard is cheap and cheerful. That is going to be the issue a combination of firmware and hardware issues if that's your gateway to control stuff. Only had to reboot the mib2 standard once when the display image moved 1/2" to one side after importing POIs.

As for the mib3 (Leon 4 / 2020 FL models) when I was checking what was going into UK cars from the VIN look up they were all the Zn1 units whether Seat or Cupra. Zn2 bells and whistles was available on the continent with wireless Android Auto without the need for the cable. I'm sure I will be told if I'm wrong but that's what the German Seat site showed by unit, the one we don't get unless they had a website error.

mdr1840

Mar 1, 2022
Exactly the same thing happed to my car, except after 2 days, tried to book the car into SEAT, but they couldn’t see it for a month. Luckily after 2 weeks it just. And back on and has worked ever since (touched wood). Rang the dealership and they didn’t want to know.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise