Infotainment screen intermittent fault

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Posted a query a while back but no responses so try again.
I have had intermittent fault when switching on ignition the map screen comes on but the radio , media and other icons are missing. Switching off and back on usually cures. Annoying when not noticed before driving off as need to stop switch off and open door to fully reset ignition.

Has anybody had similar fault

Tell

Staff member
You'll find similar statements on Leon 4 and Formentor threads. I read one today :). I believe the software codes are interchangeable on the mib3 so whatever is said over there translates to what you have on your mib3.

Formentor thread here:

I did elicit what the updates were for, here:

So you could check yours against the release codes. You cant go above 16xx to 17xx. But you can get a better version as currently posted from your dealer if they apply an update.

16xx series doesnt have Android Auto wireless... that came in, in 17 series. This is why some people have it and others don't. 16xx without Android Auto, 17xx and 18xx with AA. East Yorkshire retrofit hope to be able to do that eg. Shift people to the higher "train"... although that's not a service they are currently offering.

There is an 18xx series which is above 17xx and you might be able to get to that if on 17xx.

Those fault lists came from "TPI" so dealers do know if they looked it up.

Do a cut and paste of @Antera post since its so good... You might not have all the systems it's controlling in the car but blank screens do come up in people's posts across the MQB Evo platform here...

The post in question:

For 16Xx:

Institutions:
• The air conditioning controls on the radio navigation system screen are not displayed
displayed.
• Only with system language Danish:
− The text “SmartClimate” in the air conditioning menu is missing.
Display:
• Sometimes the radio navigation system switches itself off and on again (reset).

The screen of the radio navigation system remains black after switching on.
• The text message is continuously displayed on the screen of the radio navigation system:
− “Loading settings” is displayed, this means that the radio navigation system can no longer be used
served.
and/or
− “Radio/media not available at this time”
• Sometimes the radio navigation system shortcuts do not work.
• The image from the rear view camera is too dark.
audio:
• Sometimes the sound from the radio navigation system does not work.
• Sometimes a second language can be heard during the spoken navigation.
Navigation:
• The navigation database will be cleared automatically.
• Sometimes the navigation map is not displayed on the AID (Active Info display).
• When entering destinations via voice control, the navigation destination is not found/incorrect
recognized.
• The spoken display of the navigation is (sometimes) not intelligible.
• The navigation voice output is given in a language other than the one selected (country-specific).
• When entering the destination via voice command, the radio navigation system performs a reset automatically.
We Connect (online services):
• Sometimes the online search function “Alexa” does not work.
• If Apple Carplay is started via Bluetooth, the screen of the display and control element turns black.
• Creating a master user is not possible.
Driver assistance systems:
• After engaging reverse gear, the rear view camera image does not appear on the
screen of the display and operating element (screen remains black).
• The OPS (Optical Parking System):
− sometimes doesn't work.
− is optically shifted.
• Sometimes the tire pressure monitoring system button works on the display and
control element is not.

FOR 17XX:

Institutions:
• The mood lighting cannot be set in the menu of the radio navigation system.
Display:
• The displays in the Car menu are not correct.
audio:
• The sound settings of the radio navigation system are not saved.
• The audio playback via Bluetooth is interrupted every time.
• The length of the music title being played in media playback is not displayed correctly.

Navigation:
• The vehicle position in the radio navigation system is not displayed correctly.

----

Antera's post above says

16XX kan go to 1682 NOT TO 17XX or 18XX
17XX en 18XX can go to 1803

Assuming I haven't got the wrong end of the stick you should be asking your chief tech guy about 1682 if on 16xx and 1803 if on 17xx 😉. Probably putting the cat amongs the pigeons. They will probably say we don't do that on the Ateca 2020 facelift... but suspect not. The mib3 firmware must be common across the brand as it is on mib2 high. You don't have different mib2 high releases by model within the Seat / Cupra brand. It will be the same for Mib3. Updated software is rolled out on new cars in the production life but unless you chase up for an update you won't be offered one free unless it's judged you really need it. That judgement might not be always right.

I don't have mib3.... I just read the posts 😍. @dan555 on the Leon 4 thread knows his way around the screens and issues which I guess will be common although again the unit isn't addressing all the same systems.

The other thing is when it goes wrong, grab your camera phone and make a video of the fix to show to the chief tech guy as evidence. Concentrates minds. They should then run a coding check and upgrade the firmware if you are not on the latest.

You are fortunate with the facelifted Ateca you just got the mib3 issues not the more extended ones related to the re working of the systems on the MQB Evo platform. On all of this, firmware in systems should be updated if it isn't a hardware issue. Where you are reliant on good support from your dealer that knows their stuff.

Lastly just in case it is a boot up issue in the mib3 you can reboot it by the traditional long press on the power button until you see the logo welcome screen come up again... You just hang onto that button. You shouldn't need to do that all of the time, if so it likely requires a firmware update, known bug or not if it is not on the most recent firmware. The reboot trick you apply on mib when you get the odd issue... only had to do that on a mib2 standard once when the screen display moved by 1/2" off screen, it fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldboy racer

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Thanks for the search comprehensive answerl take a photo of the fault and chase up with dealer . It is not a serious issue so will wait as dealer is a distance away and not worth the drive unless they have a definite fix. Not going just "bring it in " for a check.

ou'll find similar statements on Leon 4 and Formentor threads. I read one today :). I believe the software codes are interchangeable on the mib3 so whatever is said over there translates to what you have on your mib3.

Formentor thread here:

I did elicit what the updates were for, here:

So you could check yours against the release codes. You cant go above 16xx to 17xx. But you can get a better version as currently posted from your dealer if they apply an update.

16xx series doesnt have Android Auto wireless... that came in, in 17 series. This is why some people have it and others don't. 16xx without Android Auto, 17xx and 18xx with AA. East Yorkshire retrofit hope to be able to do that eg. Shift people to the higher "train"... although that's not a service they are currently offering.

There is an 18xx series which is above 17xx and you might be able to get to that if on 17xx.

Those fault lists came from "TPI" so dealers do know if they looked it up.

Do a cut and paste of @Antera post since its so good... You might not have all the systems it's controlling in the car but blank screens do come up in people's posts across the MQB Evo platform here...

The post in question:

For 16Xx:

Institutions:
• The air conditioning controls on the radio navigation system screen are not displayed
displayed.
• Only with system language Danish:
− The text “SmartClimate” in the air conditioning menu is missing.
Display:
• Sometimes the radio navigation system switches itself off and on again (reset).

The screen of the radio navigation system remains black after switching on.
• The text message is continuously displayed on the screen of the radio navigation system:
− “Loading settings” is displayed, this means that the radio navigation system can no longer be used
served.
and/or
− “Radio/media not available at this time”
• Sometimes the radio navigation system shortcuts do not work.
• The image from the rear view camera is too dark.
audio:
• Sometimes the sound from the radio navigation system does not work.
• Sometimes a second language can be heard during the spoken navigation.
Navigation:
• The navigation database will be cleared automatically.
• Sometimes the navigation map is not displayed on the AID (Active Info display).
• When entering destinations via voice control, the navigation destination is not found/incorrect
recognized.
• The spoken display of the navigation is (sometimes) not intelligible.
• The navigation voice output is given in a language other than the one selected (country-specific).
• When entering the destination via voice command, the radio navigation system performs a reset automatically.
• Sometimes the online search function “Alexa” does not work.
• If Apple Carplay is started via Bluetooth, the screen of the display and control element turns black.
Driver assistance systems:
• After engaging reverse gear, the rear view camera image does not appear on the
screen of the display and operating element (screen remains black).
• The OPS (Optical Parking System):
− sometimes doesn't work.
− is optically shifted.
• Sometimes the tire pressure monitoring system button works on the display and
control element is not.

FOR 17XX:

Institutions:
• The mood lighting cannot be set in the menu of the radio navigation system.
Display:
• The displays in the Car menu are not correct.
audio:
• The sound settings of the radio navigation system are not saved.
• The audio playback via Bluetooth is interrupted every time.
• The length of the music title being played in media playback is not displayed correctly.

Navigation:
• The vehicle position in the radio navigation system is not displayed correctly.

----

Antera's post above says

16XX kan go to 1682 NOT TO 17XX or 18XX
17XX en 18XX can go to 1803

Assuming I haven't got the wrong end of the stick you should be asking your chief tech guy about 1682 if on 16xx and 1803 if on 17xx 😉. Probably putting the cat amongs the pigeons. They will probably say we don't do that on the Ateca 2020 facelift... but suspect not. The mib3 firmware must be common across the brand as it is on mib2 high. You don't have different mib2 high releases by model within the Seat / Cupra brand. It will be the same for Mib3. Updated software is rolled out on new cars in the production life but unless you chase up for an update you won't be offered one free unless it's judged you really need it. That judgement might not be always right.

I don't have mib3.... I just read the posts 😍. @dan555 on the Leon 4 thread knows his way around the screens and issues which I guess will be common although again the unit isn't addressing all the same systems.

The other thing is when it goes wrong, grab your camera phone and make a video of the fix to show to the chief tech guy as evidence. Concentrates minds. They should then run a coding check and upgrade the firmware if you are not on the latest.

You are fortunate with the facelifted Ateca you just got the mib3 issues not the more extended ones related to the re working of the systems on the MQB Evo platform. On all of this, firmware in systems should be updated if it isn't a hardware issue. Where you are reliant on good support from your dealer that knows their stuff.

Lastly just in case it is a boot up issue in the mib3 you can reboot it by the traditional long press on the power button until you see the logo welcome screen come up again... You just hang onto that button. You shouldn't need to do that all of the time, if so it likely requires a firmware update, known bug or not if it is not on the most recent firmware. The reboot trick you apply on mib when you get the odd issue... only had to do that on a mib2 standard once when the screen display moved by 1/2" off screen, it fixed it.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
Good reply. The infotainment is a huge step backwards from MIB2 High. Yes is bigger and crisper. But the small number of things I did before - navigate with postcodes without some stupid spider graph appearing, being able to select my choice of the route options without navigating to some random place near the route I just prodded, listen to my music just going through the folder structure - I can't do anymore. Yes, I have wireless AA, but that destroys your battery life and I didn't use it before anyway. Still at least that enables you to find your route unlike the useless normal system.

I had this issue as well, but I was way past caring at that particular point at the stupid thing not doing anything I wanted to to care much.

Tell

Staff member
Good reply. The infotainment is a huge step backwards from MIB2 High. Yes is bigger and crisper. But the small number of things I did before - navigate with postcodes without some stupid spider graph appearing, being able to select my choice of the route options without navigating to some random place near the route I just prodded, listen to my music just going through the folder structure - I can't do anymore. Yes, I have wireless AA, but that destroys your battery life and I didn't use it before anyway. Still at least that enables you to find your route unlike the useless normal system.

I had this issue as well, but I was way past caring at that particular point at the stupid thing not doing anything I wanted to to care much.
They are suppose to have sorted out the off road postcode points to back on the road in subsequent map updates. So it's said.

Hopefully at some point we will get back to traditional navigation with a connected service adjoint rather than connected services with the rest pushed out. Maybe mib4 🤣. At this rate I'll get a Tesla or of a Chinese MG when I go EV 🤣.

Reactions: Oldboy racer

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow

Certainly not intuitive using new Nav. Wonder what team in VW brain stormed the "improvements" on this :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.