Installing a Sub - with Pics

thejoose

Hey Guys - Just thought I would share my days work with you. Some of you may have seen it on Talkaudio but im currently working on a big bass install called Project Big Black But I also have company car, a Red Seat Leon FR - Project Little Red - The plan is to install the GZNW15 Sub and GZNW1.2500 amp I have from my sponsors in the boot - and run the uprated speakers in the front doors from a small Soundstream Granite amp 60.2 amp

I have a lot of pics to add in but cant do it as I dont have the 15 post limit (I didnt realise that the url rule applied to pictures as well sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

Hey Guys - Just thought I would share my days work with you. Some of you may have seen it on Talkaudio but im currently working on a big bass install called Project Big Black But I also have company car, a Red Seat Leon FR - Project Little Red - The plan is to install the GZNW15 Sub and GZNW1.2500 amp I have from my sponsors in the boot - and run the uprated speakers in the front doors from a small Soundstream Granite amp 60.2 amp

I have a lot of pics to add in but cant do it as I dont have the 15 post limit (I didnt realise that the url rule applied to pictures as well sorry!)

thats ok get posting/spamming and post those pics

thejoose

IM just checking to see if i can add anything of use to people - dont want to be spamming!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
would be good to see another ice addict , heres what i did to mine :

IMGP0596.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have jl audio C5-650 components in heavily dynamatted doors , profile ultra 2 amp running the front and a Alpine 600.1 running my focal 11" sub :D

sounds amazing off of my pioneer head unit oh and i still have seat bluetooth.

Eddy Gein

Jan 23, 2007
iv just taken my 2 10" jl w7's with the jl 1000:1 in a 3/4" mdf box with a 1" mdf front baffle out of my boot so I can do a proper build and I swear the lighter boot has added and inch to my rear suspension height. It does drive alot better now though.

Would like to see how you go about changing the tweeters.

thejoose

Mine is not nearly as neat as that - im a basshead ;) This is my company car but I have a giant project on the go which should be very loud!

Ice Addict is about right - been doing SPL competitions for 4 years

I'm think im going to regret showing you now - I think you guys are all going to be sq faeries! hehe

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
iv just taken my 2 10" jl w7's with the jl 1000:1 in a 3/4" mdf box with a 1" mdf front baffle out of my boot so I can do a proper build and I swear the lighter boot has added and inch to my rear suspension height. It does drive alot better now though.

Would like to see how you go about changing the tweeters.

Tweeters are a bitch mate , not the changing but taking the door cards on and off the window mechanism is part of the door cards , you need such pateints

Mine is not nearly as neat as that - im a basshead ;) This is my company car but I have a giant project on the go which should be very loud!

I'm think im going to regret showing you now - I think you guys are all going to be sq faeries! hehe

nothing wrong with us fairies mate lol , each to their own , i must admit it does sound good :D

Poverty

oh ****, now I recognise your username.

Welcome to SCN mate!

I used to be a street basser till I got my K1 and went for speed!

Eventually I will be doing a small cheapish SQ install.

thejoose

Tweeters are a bitch mate , not the changing but taking the door cards on and off the window mechanism is part of the door cards , you need such pateints

nothing wrong with us fairies mate lol , each to their own , i must admit it does sound good :D

Hehe i know dude - there is always some friendly rivalry between bassheads and SQ guys - mean no offence by it

oh ****, now I recognise your username.

Welcome to SCN mate!

I used to be a street basser till I got my K1 and went for speed!

Eventually I will be doing a small cheapish SQ install.

I recognise you as well dude - cheers for the welcome - im still a streetbasser - with an understanding boss!

Poverty

Haha well I cant wait to see what you do with the leon, your experience will hopefully make things easier for me when I come to do mine!

thejoose

Managed to get up a few posts so here are the pics

Also if you interested in the big bass check out www.projectbigblack.co.uk

000_0005.JPG

First off the pain in the ass for any big install - getting the power cable into the cabin. With some experience from my last company car install in an A3 Sportback i knew it would be a lot easier getting to the grommet with the battery out so out it came

Airbox undone to get access to the battery securing bolt

100_1506.JPG

Battery out

100_1507.JPG

The grommet on the bulkhead

100_1508.JPG

I pushed a coat hanger through from the other side and taped the 0awg to it then with the help of a squirt of wd40 i pulled it back through

100_1511.JPG

And into the passenger foot well

100_1513.JPG

100_1512.JPG

Battery back in and 200amp Tsunami circuit breaker installed

100_1520.JPG

Ran all of the cables needed to the boot - these included remote, signal, speaker and power plus epicenter remote

100_1514.JPG

Reactions: Nick Nick

thejoose

Popped the trim off along the sill and tucked it all into it

100_1515.JPG

100_1516.JPG

100_1517.JPG

Once ran to the front I had to get the signal and speaker cables behind the dash - Rather than running speaker cables into the doors i just tapped into the iso loom behind the HU and connected the speaker cables from the amp to them - using the standard loom in the car to take the power to the doors - not something i would recommend for high power installs but the Granite amp I'm using is only 2x30wrms.

100_1518.JPG

100_1519.JPG

Trim back in and all tidy

100_1522.JPG

100_1523.JPG

Next job was to sort out an earth in the boot

100_1525.JPG

thejoose

Managed to find one behind the boot trim - where the luggage strap fasteners bolt to - its hidden right away so couldn't get a pic

Last night I spent ages working out how to mount all the bits on a removable board - this is what I came up with

100_1502.JPG

Which of course didnt fit! so i pulled off the small amp and the epic and centred the sub amp - the ground zero fuse holder you can see on the bottom right actually comes with the amp - a nice feature.

100_1526.JPG

100_1527.JPG

100_1533.JPG

Moving the epic and granite amp to the back of the box

100_1530.JPG

Sub mounted - the Nuclear subs come with a nifty metal trim ring and massive Allen headed black screws - another nice little feature
100_1532.JPG

And everything all in and good to go

100_1531.JPG

100_1536.JPG

Needs a little bit of setting up but I have a lot of driving to do this week so will let you know my thought on the set up soon

thejoose

looks good buddy ,
i hope you have a can of tyre foam somewhere handy :p

Having made the mistake in the past of not being able move a box to get to the spare tyre this one is pretty easy to move up on to the dropped back seats to gain access to the spare wheel

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.