Installing a Subwoofer - Feeding the wires to the boot

paimai

Hello everyone,

Firstly i would like to say what a great community, and thanks for all the great info.

After following Davros tutorial (Thanks Davros):
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117628&highlight=subwoofer

I've got a problem in passing the wires from under the passenger sill to the back door sill.
I require some help in feeding the wire under the back seat trim to the boot aswell.
Please see the picture, with the red line as how i would like to feed the wire.

I cannot even remove the backdoor sill trim, is this possible?
The trim on the column, between the doors - do i need to remove this, and how do i do it?

PLease advise me on what some of you have done to over come this problem and also how do i remove the back door sill, as this holds in place due to the middle column.

I'm installing a FLI 12 (bought for £90 if you reserve online and collect from Halfords store), and will be converting to RCA, and disconnecting the 2 rear speakers.
Door speakers and head unit will remain stock.

Thanks in advance!

Davros

Hi Paimai.

Its about 1 1/2 years since i installed mine (still working fine!!), but i can distinctly remember a good hour or so of swearing, brusing knuckles and profusely sweating to get that piece of trim off on the column, i think that and the rear sill are interlocked which makes it more difficult.

Its actually just held in with clips, and unfortunately i can't remember where they were. You need to get a good lever and keep trying. Its a case of levering in the right place and it comes out. I did have the workshop manuals on DVD (don't have them any more, dunno if someone else here might), and can't remember if that said where the clips were (it was quite a while ago!).

Your setup sounds very similar to mine, i've found the Fli 12 to be pretty good (i've never had it turned up any thing like as loud as it can go). I had already changed the front speakers for Infinity Kappas, and kept the rears connected in parallel (i have the reference, so only has the lower woofers, not the tweaters). By the fact I've not changed anything in the last 1 1/2 years, you could say i'm pretty happy with the sound now.

Sorry i can't be of more help, good luck.

Jonathan_Pow

To install my sub I removed the passenger seat and drivers seat (needed to remove the drivers seat to route another cable)... this makes it infinitely easier to feed the wire from the front to back without damaging any trim. It is simply a case of disconnecting the battery (VERY IMPORTANT: Otherwise you will get an airbag light on the dash when you disconnect the airbag wires to the seat), disconnect the wires under the seat (there are two connectors on mine), and then unbolt the four bolts holding the rails to the floorpan... then, with someone to offer a careful hand, remove the seat through the back door.

From reading the trials and tribulations of others this seems to be the easiest way of getting the wire from front to back.

Finally, to remove the rear bench you need to pull sharply and firmly upwards from the front lip (between the carpet and the seat) on each side... it does require some force, but shouldn't break as the clips quite substantial. Then you can unhook the rear of the back seat on each side.

paimai

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for your replys Davros & JP.

So Ive installed it, I just ended up pushing the wires up the trim, from the seat belt through the underside of the rear door trim and into the boot.

Overall its completly hidden, and the trim is perfectly in place as it should be.

I used a multimeter to read the volt readings to find a convieniant REM, which i found just under the glove box, its a clip on plug, with a thick red and black wire.

In the boot, again i checked what is a suitable ground with the multimeter, and found there is a bolt with a U to clip/attached things onto. This is on the bottom left side. This was just a simple unscrew, attach ground and re-screw.

I am very impressed with the FLI trap 12". The bass is excellent, and it compliments the stock speakers extremly well.

IMO instead of paying £50 - £80 for a pair of infinities, but a Fli trap 12" for £90 from Halfords, (which includes all wires required). And have the bass, as well as the treble from the stock speakers.

I'm extremly happy, with the sub, excellent loud bass, vibrates your chest, and its not even ran in yet.

A special thanks to Davros's tutorial, which without I wouldn't have even bothered installing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members