insurance for modified leon

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
hi all, wondering how many people on here have told thier insurance about the mods they have made and if so how much did the insurance go up. Ive just put 19's on the car and wanna know before i get stung. Dont want to ring my insurance and ask just incase they get a bit suspect. cheers:confused:

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Uh, kinda gotta declare them anyway. It's not like wheels are subtle mods or anything...

In fact, your car's not even currently road legal if you've not declared 'em.

It all depends on your current situation through your insurers anyway - age? NCBs? Previous convictions? Current premium? You won't be looking at much more for an LCR really, seeing as the LCR as standard is hardly an insurance-friendly car :)

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
yea i know, didnt tell them with my previous car, but they werent 19's and i really wouldnt like to have the car nicked or damaged and then get no cash back for them. dont mind paying up to £100 more but wondering what people have had to pay when they have declared their mods. Ive also got a filter, dump valve and a few other mods that i know i should tell them about. Also gonna be having a exhaust fitted in the near future so looking like a matter of when i tell them, not if.

Last edited:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Swift say i can have whatever alloys/stainless steel exhaust i like as long as worth no more than £1000

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
I would persomally say its up to you.
I personally never claim for any personal damage unless t third party is involve,
in which case i will endevour to settle it outside of the insurance companies.

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
yea i know, didnt tell them with my previous car, but they werent 19's and i really wouldnt like to have the car nicked or damaged and then get no cash back for them.

It's not always as simple as them not giving you the cash for the 19s if they're stolen - if you don't declare them at all, your entire car's insurance is invalid. Same goes for your exhaust - in fact (and i'm sure someone who's more up to date on the prices will correct me :)) but i'm pretty sure exhausts are going to set you back more than the alloys for insurance. But again, not much...

That means, if the car is in an accident - you'll be a) fined for driving without valid insurance b) receive the penalty points for that offence and c) will have to pay out of pocket for the damage caused.

It's not worth it.

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Yeah, gotta be careful. Obviously its up to you but you do risk the insurance being void, so you may in effect be paying a premium that is not valid anyway.

I would always declare mods, then no need to worry about 'what if I have an accident'. For me that would make driving more comfortable knowing everything is insured, but everyone is different I know.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
yeah if you have a accident and they found out you haev mods to your car you havent declared they will invalidate your insurance....you will then have to pay for the 3rd parties car, your car and possibly get a fine for not having insurance i guess?

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
yeah if you have a accident and they found out you haev mods to your car you havent declared they will invalidate your insurance....you will then have to pay for the 3rd parties car, your car and possibly get a fine for not having insurance i guess?
They will try and wriggle out of paying anyway they can, get them declared mate. It may add a bit more to your premium but its better to be safe than sorry as it could be thousands you have to pay out if your without insurance.

Ken

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
At the end of the day it is ILLEGAL!

And it could cause you far more hassle than it is worth, just declare them!

J2W

I am having stage 1 Revo fitted to my LCR in two weeks time. I have declared it as its a nightmare if you dont. I am with A Flux who are only charging me an extra 35 quid. That is very reasonable for the upgrade in my book.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
i didnt think it was easy to detect a remap, my dad totaled hsi calibra and the guy came out and said yup thats proper ****ed and went back.

LCR User

Stage...
Jan 17, 2006
Guys anyone know the legality with window tints?

I'm guessing that they should be declared, but would the insurance company be happy with the front side windows being tinted, as the law doesn't permit this (i think :confused:)

flares

Feb 11, 2007
newport,south wales
I had new 18`s a few months back & direct line wanted another £11 per month until nov ( approx £140 per year ) . I changed to esure & with the alloys as a mod i`m saving £25 a month

flares

Feb 11, 2007
newport,south wales
I`m 35 ( but I only look 25 :lol: ) and when I was getting quotes i found the " performance car " insurance companies more expensive than the normal insurance companies and with much higher excesses

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You have to tell them about ANY modifications. Sometimes, you even have to tell them about factory fitted optional extras.

A modification is ANYTHING the car did not come with from the factory - so wheels, window tints, suspension, bodywork, lights, exhaust... if you changed it or added it, you need to declare it. Even if it's a part from another, similar model. So if you have fitted Cupra or LCR bodywork, it needs to be declared. The performance isn't the only reason those cars have higher insurance.

Insurance companies will do one of two things if you crash and claim - or somebody claims against you - and they find you haven't declared something; they will void your policy as you have not acted in 'utmost good faith' when taking the policy... or they will demand a higher premium and a higher excess before taking the claim any further.
If they void the policy they will also do everything they can to ensure you don't get, or struggle to get, insurance elsewhere. They will add all your details to the CUE database the insurance companies look at, so any future insurer will know you committed fraud to get your policy and will refuse to insure you.

I've just spent a week or so on a couple of Insurance training courses as I've just started working for an insurance company (3rd biggest insurer in the country) so I've had all this stuff rammed into my head recently :lol:

In short... it's not worth the risk. Insurance companies are getting to the point where they will investigate any claim where they suspect somebody isn't being 100% honest.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex

yep... then try getting reinsured....

imo id tell them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.