Intercooler fitting help!

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
Uni intercooler, help!

Im really struggling to get all the pipes to stay in place. The sharp angled bit of silicone hose that comes from the long tubing attaches to the original plastic mould going upwards. But theres the round metal plate on the frame in the centre. Mines sticking out a bit and gets right in the way!

How the hell do i do it?! It seems like there is no way it will fit?

Hope that makes any sence!

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
What is the circular part in the middle of the front subframe? Im sure it used to sit flush with the metal, and think this is whats stopping me getting the right angles..

P1CK4D

Jun 11, 2009
Essex
Hiya mate. Ive literally just fitted mine tonight! That sharp angled piece doesnt seem to fit far enough down so it doesnt fit. What I done was, used the small piece of metal tubing and cut it in half and made a small add on from that to bring it further down :)

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
Yes, I have used the search. I even used that guide to fit it, as you can see I put a post at the end saying thanks!

Thats exactly the same problem I had. So you kept the original black tubing in place, small bit of metal, then red angled tube?

That seems the only way round it at the moment, other than getting another tube with one side extended about 3"..

Thanks for that though, glad Im not the only one!

jamieread

Oct 14, 2007
I have just been out trying to fit mine for the past few hours. Got the exact same problem.

P1CK4D have you got any pics of the pipework from under the car?

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
Tried what mate? Getting an extended pipe?

Heres a couple of pictures. Might be worth a few of us messaging them to share our troubles. Maybe even send this link across!

1st image shows how high the red pipe is, expecting the tubing to go right through the frame!

DSC01265Small.jpg

And the second picture shows the best angle you can get. Clearly going to get wripped off!

DSC01267Small.jpg

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
I'd buy a new piece of pipe and run it like the laguna fmic. The pipework underneath that engine mount sits far too low.

This is how i had mine first installed. The pipework now runs parrallel behind the intercooler alot further away from the ground.
IMG_0216.jpg

Last edited:

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
And the second picture shows the best angle you can get. Clearly going to get wripped off!

DSC01267Small.jpg

seems strange that you cant get it any further up than that cant quite tell from the picture but have you cut away some of the bracket behind where the piping is to allow access like you can see to the left of the fmic Im_gauchi picture..??

jamieread

Oct 14, 2007
S1l3nc3r...i see what you mean. I havent done this....will do it when i get home and see if its any better.

Heres a pic i got from Sparkie's thread.
SDC11171-1.jpg

I havent done the cut on the left...marked in red.

TJenkos...have you already done this and still have this prob?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Yep thats the one marked on the left mate...

iirc from what i have read you need to remove some of that said bracket and this will allow you to swing the piping up behind much more and give you a better angle hope it works out for you :)

tommy2008cupra

and cut an inch off the pipe on the left the two elbows on mine are touching and if you do what silencer said it should now be flush with bumper as mine is the same mate

jamieread

Oct 14, 2007
I'll be giving this a go later.

Tommy...what did you do to the ends of the ali pipes to make it hold better?

tommy2008cupra

well number one i bought all new clips from mr forge which are better than the shite one provided personally i wouldnt even bother using them, also if u have a steady hand with a angle grinder try and make a little lip around the end so when tight the hose has sumthing to clamp down on but be carefull u dun wana fudge it up

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
This worked for me, 1st jublie clips they break/blow off you need special clips that bolt down. To prevent the hose blowing of the metal pipe, is to ruffen up metal pipe where silicone hose slide on, get small hack saw and add crosses around metal pipe, this would help prevent hose from popping off.

tommy2008cupra

agreed clamping a hose on to flat metal pipe isnt good best off doing as either myself of Biglad says to avoid future problems, also i would say put a cable tie in the middle of the big ali pipe aswell incas it does blow off and u lose it on the motor way or sumin as my mate had and a few others lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.