Intercooler hose popping off

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
Hi, if someone could help it would be great, fitted a f.m.i and the top left hose (lcr) keeps popping off. I have tried wrapping the tape you get at the bottom of a tennis racket around it to make it more grippy, didn't work, I have tried fitting two jubilee clips and if I go over 20psi for more then a second it still pops off, very frustrating when your having to let little chavs in there saxo blow you cause your afraid of putting your foot down. I want to try heavy duty clips, an idea where |I can source these, or any other ideas.

Regards Tim

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Had this happen once myself, but only ever the once, and only had one jubilee clip.

Try spraying some solvent cleaner on the metal pipework before refitting the silicone hoses to ensure a dirt free fit.

Jubilee clips available from any major car / automotive store, but RS do them: link

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
intercooler clips

Thanx for that, I take it's the high torque ones, they all look the same, I'm beguining to worry the universal f.m.i isn't large enough to cope with the boost, though it's still larger then the two side ones out together, just not as large as the foege whopper. If this doesn't sort my problem I think I may have to splash out on a forge item

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
No, read the full threads, it's not the Mikalor clamps I'm pointing you at but the complete solution, especially the cod weld beading that we did.

It's the beading that's the important thing.

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
welds

Cool, where did you get the jb weld from, is it easily avaialable, and you just have to let it dry?

Regards

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Mine blew off not long ago when ive been trying to rectify the problem, after it was first started give it a rev and it sounded like a shotgun :O All it was is where my oily mitts had been on the turbo and the jubilee was a bit loose. Also if theres some oily deposits in the pipe i found this can cuase it to blow off once they been re-fitted.

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
intercooler hose fix

Ahhh, finally got a mate to metal weld a lip on my f.m.i tubing, now back up to 22psi again, had forgotten how quick she was, chuffed. No more embarrasing moments...me hopes.
:lol:

regards tim

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
when i had this issue on my previous car a golf i took it to my local exhaust place who had a mandrel machine and they managed to put a lip into the piping using the machine. did the trick for me.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if your hose repeatedly pops off, is it stretched? (oe rubber one?)
considered a silicon hose set as they dont inflate like baloons under boost and go even softer when hot liek rubber ones do

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
if your hose repeatedly pops off, is it stretched? (oe rubber one?)
considered a silicon hose set as they dont inflate like baloons under boost and go even softer when hot liek rubber ones do

as Bill says; replace the upper oe hoses with silicon items and you shouldn't experience hoses popping off again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.