intercooler upgrade

i.cupra.57

anybody no were i can buy an intercooler upgrade for my ibiza cupra i looked at forge but they have 1 for the fr but my standard 1 looks bigger???? any ideas :confused:

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
The Seat Sport Intercooler which you have fitted at the moment should be good for 300BHP.....or are you running more power than that!

jamiebennett81

anybody no were i can buy an intercooler upgrade for my ibiza cupra i looked at forge but they have 1 for the fr but my standard 1 looks bigger???? any ideas :confused:

this one:

FMIB4FR.jpg

not too up on the Ibiza MK4 IC (although I know it's a vast improvement over the MK3 piddly one!)

its not just the size remember (queue the puns) its the thickness of the core

how thick is the standard IC or core on the MK4's?

did you look at the graph on the Forge site...considerably lower temps:

ibfrgraph.jpg

although to be honest, a lot of people will tell say that you could get a similar Forge/FMIC unit from ebay and for half the cost

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I would spend your cash on other things (exhaust, TIP etc.). The standard FMIC is not worth upgrading.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
this one:

FMIB4FR.jpg

not too up on the Ibiza MK4 IC (although I know it's a vast improvement over the MK3 piddly one!)

its not just the size remember (queue the puns) its the thickness of the core

how thick is the standard IC or core on the MK4's?

did you look at the graph on the Forge site...considerably lower temps:

ibfrgraph.jpg

although to be honest, a lot of people will tell say that you could get a similar Forge/FMIC unit from ebay and for half the cost

This graph is for the FR, not the Cupra. The FR runs a small SMIC hence why the intake temps are quite high. The stock Cupra IC is a large FM model which is bigger than the Forge model, hence Forge themselves only recomend their IC for the FR.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I'm sure Damoegan has done inlet temp logging on his Cupra, maybe he could add to this thread. They were pretty low temps iirc. 30-40??? not sure...

Here ya go, take a look here...

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177721

Seat soprt cooler is bigger than the Forge item.

Your right Rich, here you go mate :) (this is running stage 1 map @ about 210bhp)

intaketemp.jpg

rash cupra ran 320bhp+ on his Seat Sport cooler with no problems

Last edited:

i.cupra.57

thanks alot for your help guys!!! yea im only running a stage 1 revo thinkin about a stage 2 and thought the best thing to do would be to get the charge temp down probably saved me about 5oo quid!!!! what would i need to upgrade for stage 2??? got green pannel filter and 007 d/v???? im fed up of hearing about air filters are they worth it?? thinkin about the velocity kit from pipercross????

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Mods recommended for stage 2 are:

Turbo back exhaust

Forge TIP

Uprated DV (Forge 007p is my choice)

High flow panel filter or open cone filter.

EDIT: Damn, beet me to it Kris ;)

i.cupra.57

sorry for got 2 say kriso.... wasnt to keen on changing th exhaust system didnt want it to be loud boy racerish????? iv heard about the tip does it make that much difference??? cheers

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
sorry for got 2 say kriso.... wasnt to keen on changing th exhaust system didnt want it to be loud boy racerish????? iv heard about the tip does it make that much difference??? cheers

its probably not worth going stage 2 unless you change the exhaust tbh, the standard exhaust is so restrictive. If you go for a milltek system it doesn't sound boy racerish at all, its only louder when you put your foot down. You could go for the resonated version which has a centre silencer and is a bit quieter ;)

TIP gives the top end a bit of a boost as the OEM TIP is prone to collapsing under higher boost. I noticed a difference on mine with a stage 1 map.

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Well I still have standard exhaust but run stage 2 map...

TIP makes a big difference in airflow and it wont collaps under high boost.

Here is a graph of my MAF readings before and after fitting the Forge TIP, you can see how much it has smoothed out the airflow.

forgetip.jpg

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
As well as being restrictive, I was told the standard cat can't handle the higher temps of a Stage 2 map. If you get a custom map such as P-Torque, this can be worked around but at the expense of power :D. But if you look at the Custom Code and Revo sites, I beleive they say you need the turbo back exhaust for a Stage 2.

As well as being restrictive, I was told the standard cat can't handle the higher temps of a Stage 2 map. If you get a custom map such as P-Torque, this can be worked around but at the expense of power :D. But if you look at the Custom Code and Revo sites, I beleive they say you need the turbo back exhaust for a Stage 2.

out of intrest do exhaust upgrades go on your insurance?

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle

Yep, I have standard exhaust and Will mapped round it. Outcome was about 10bhp and 45lb/ft less than you mate.

i.cupra.57

whats the best price i could get the miltek for?? and how much for the revo stage 2???