Interior Microcracking - Damage to Interior Air-con/Heated Seat Surround! Cupra 290. How could this happen?

sdolman84

Sep 17, 2019
Hi all,

Any idea how the below could have happened. I noticed it after cleaning my car interior but a few hours after. I only use designated interior wipes and micro fibre cloth to clean the area. It looks cracked but doesn't feel that way. Its on both sides. :(

Any advice - anyone know if you can get this element replaced?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 585
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 584

sdolman84

Sep 17, 2019
How old is the car? Looks like someone has tried to remove the panel piece with some force, the wrong tool or both.
Car is 20 plate. No one has done anything to it. I literally cleaned the car and then few hours later went out in it and it was only then that i noticed it. I did go out in the car earlier and sure it wasnt there. I was wondering of some moisture from wipes used had somehow corroded it? but it doesnt look like it and ive used the wipes before and they are barely wet and i wipe dry with microfibre cloth.. im at loss to what has caused it..

i did leave my car open outside for while.. youve got me wondering if someone has tried to access it?

Last edited:

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
How old is the car? Looks like someone has tried to remove the panel piece with some force, the wrong tool or both.
100% this!

It looks like someone has tried to force something behind it too lever it off.

There are some strange people out there and someone may have tried to remove it when you left the car unlocked.

Reactions: sdolman84

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
This is a common issue where the surround appears cracked. I have the same issue and havent removed my panel. Its worth taking it to SEAT.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My bet is that it's been like that since new and you've just not noticed. Is that possible?

Reactions: sdolman84

sdolman84

Sep 17, 2019
My bet is that it's been like that since new and you've just not noticed. Is that possible?
No thats not possible - i'm pretty OCD with cars and would have noticed on first day of owning. It defo just appeared over a couple of hours...

sdolman84

Sep 17, 2019
This is a common issue where the surround appears cracked. I have the same issue and havent removed my panel. Its worth taking it to SEAT.
Ah, i hadn't seen anyone else with the issue. I'm going to take it to SEAT to have a look. Its a lease car so i'm worried they are going to charge me for it anyway. Also, it just doesnt look good.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
This is dare i say it a common fault

my 2018 68 plate did this, also my plastic on my binnacle cracked. This was from no impacts or anything, they both crcaked on hot days, noticed as i got in the car after work.

SEAT would not have a bar of it though, they must be using cheap crap plastics.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

my 2018 68 plate did this, also my plastic on my binnacle cracked. This was from no impacts or anything, they both crcaked on hot days, noticed as i got in the car after work.

Yes, I seem to remember reading of a similar case recently - either on this forum or one of the mk7 VW Golf forums, as the Golf has a very similar panel.

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017

That is crazy.. they must be utter shvte.

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Hi all,

Any idea how the below could have happened. I noticed it after cleaning my car interior but a few hours after. I only use designated interior wipes and micro fibre cloth to clean the area. It looks cracked but doesn't feel that way. Its on both sides. :(

Any advice - anyone know if you can get this element replaced?

Hi any update on this problem as noticed this on a car i'm interested in.

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
Mine has the same issue it will be brought up as a warranty replacement (mine is a 19 plate)

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
It looks like the protective clear film had been left on after factory fitting and now loosened with whatever was in the wipes.
Will it in fact peel off, tweezers? Tried it GENTLY please.

Last edited:

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
It looks like the protective clear film had been left on after factory fitting and now loosened with whatever was in the wipes.
Will it in fact peel off, tweezers? Tried it GENTLY please.

Not the case with mine it's microcracking :(

sdolman84

Sep 17, 2019
I’m currently on a lease and still havent flagged this to my dealer (my bad). I will this month though as its got worse. It must be to do with heat as it originally occurred last summer and has gotten worse over the last weeks when been warm. Wondering if its direct sunlight thats causing it!
4324E7EE-6CE8-4C4A-B5AE-925D02F50419.jpeg

Attachments

• A380958D-551B-4B0B-940A-93A13D140520.jpeg
    A380958D-551B-4B0B-940A-93A13D140520.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 110
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.