Intermittent electrical fault

Cupra Ferret

Came out of supermarket yesterday loaded up the car got in turned on foldy mirrors and passenger side would not go out. Tried electric window and it also did not work. Tried several times then drove home pissed off. Tried again when i got home by turning ignition off and back on again, the passenger door electrics then worked.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Amr

Sep 11, 2002
Egypt
Visit site
well,
I can't imagine what you are saying exactly; but i will tell u the situation i had before. But i think it was tiny miny problem compared to urs.

Once i had my window down...(Driver's) when i tried to pull it up again there was no response at all. hence, i went to the service and it was replaced under warrenty.
i was told that the window's machine was damaged due to electric prob.
i think you should check the fuses box. may be some of them went bad or so..

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Originally posted by Cupra Ferret
Came out of supermarket yesterday loaded up the car got in turned on foldy mirrors and passenger side would not go out. Tried electric window and it also did not work. Tried several times then drove home pissed off. Tried again when i got home by turning ignition off and back on again, the passenger door electrics then worked.

Has anybody experienced this before?

I'm having similar problems to yourself....

Because the cars internal software manages a lot of these things it may be a software problem...hence why it works again when you switch on again with the ignition..presumably the system gets a reboot then!

Cupra Ferret

Took it to local dealer today the technician connected the car to his computer and it registered that there was a problem although at that time everything was working fine, which I thought was quite good.

He had not come across this before but to solve the problem he cleaned the connections of the multiplex wiring to the passenger door unit and the error cleared.

Good job all round!:D

Pete_slim

The living legend
Aug 9, 2002
Darlington
Visit site
Dodgy electrics

Had similar problem to this myself although my problem included the immobiliser not working and the central locking not working either.

Theres a thread on here somewhere cos other people have experienced similar problems (that have been attributed to a fuse). cant remember which one tho

I had the multiplexer replaced on my car (they called it the convenience unit, although when everything goes t*ts up I dont really reckon that its convenient!!).

On changing the convenience unit the foldy mirrors behaved differently when adjusting them... (too late and too difficult to explain).. but I started a thread about it!!:D

Riggy

In the last couple of weeks my interior lights have been playing up. The illumination on the Climate control display and on the elctric mirror/window controls all seem to illuminate and turn off at random. The dash lights still work OK, although they get dimmer and lighter as they wish - I think this can be explained by the fact that the control for dimming/brightening the illumination also doesn't work any more.
The central locking on one of the back doors has also given up, and the alarm no longer flashes the indicators as you lock it but does when you unlock it:confused:
All this happened on a very cold weekend, the day after I washed it. Can't help but think that everything's conected somehow (I think the Spanish guy who wired the car had the same thought:D ).

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
Originally posted by Riggy
The illumination on the Climate control display and on the elctric mirror/window controls all seem to illuminate and turn off at random. The dash lights still work OK, although they get dimmer and lighter as they wish - I think this can be explained by the fact that the control for dimming/brightening the illumination also doesn't work any more.

yeap, its the dimmer switch, quite common, a couple of threads about it on here (and will be in the Leon FAQ)

Riggy

:cheers: Andy, I thought as much. Just going to have to wait until the the end of the month to get it done under warranty, I didn't realise the dealer would be so busy.

Pete_slim

The living legend
Aug 9, 2002
Darlington
Visit site
Originally posted by mark sheerin
Ah is this convenience unit the one inconveniently situated behind the centre console ash tray?
How do you remove the ashtray anypeeps?

Much as you would expect... I have no idea whatsoever how to remove the ashtray, and I dont know whats behind it either. I have had the whole underside of the driver's dash out (which was nice);) ... but couldnt see the makings of a multiplexer/conveniewnce/inconvenient unit..:confused:

garycooperat34

FOR ANYONE ON THIS FORUM

Problems caused in the Mk1's by ANY electric not working in either the driver or passenger door:

To the left of the footwell on the edge of the car, remove the curved trim. bedind this trim is a small multiplug. They have a problem where when it rains, you get the water in your door sills, and this water also runs onto those multiplugs and eventually corrodes them.

a short term fix is to buy some electrical contact spray. spray both ends and then plug back together. a long term solution is to buy a new multi plug or remove the plug altogether and join the cables individually.

it's not a hard job to fix. takes about 10 minutes per door.