iPhone / USB not working.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
Picked my new car up today and it would seem that the USB connector in the glovebox isnt working. I plug my phone in to it and it doesnt charge. Additionally when i try select USB its greyed out. Ive chedked my cable and its fine.

Am i missing something or is it just goosed?

AlexV

May 10, 2014
If I remember correctly you have to have ignition switched on for the USB to work.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
If the mk3 is the same as the Mk 2 the cable supplied with the phone doesn't work. You have to buy an adaptor - which Seat/VW will relieve you of £30 for iirc - or do what I did and buy one off Amazon for a BMW, works fine. It uses both the USB and aux in.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
If the mk3 is the same as the Mk 2 the cable supplied with the phone doesn't work. You have to buy an adaptor - which Seat/VW will relieve you of £30 for iirc - or do what I did and buy one off Amazon for a BMW, works fine. It uses both the USB and aux in.

do you have a link for the one you bought?

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands

I was going to say this.

The iphone only allows control through the USB and audio comes out of the aux. I tried it and it didnt work well in my Ibiza.

Just stuck to a normal 32gb pendrive.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
Ive ordered a cheap cable off ebay so will see if that works.

for the USB streaming i plug in my usb drive and get an error message from it. Is there a particular format it needs to be in?

xordinate

As I know, USB socket doesn't charge phone. This only helps to play songs.

Last edited by a moderator:

szczeslaw

Sep 24, 2014
Ok so I bought an iPod cable off eBay
Plugged it in today and it doesn't work. Does absolutely nothing. Doesn't even charge the phone.

Any ideas?

Do you have standard Media System Colour (5"), Media System Plus (5.8") or Sat Nav?
Judging by your description (one USB and Aux only in glove box) you have Media System Colour, which does NOT support anything else, than USB storage devices. So you'll not be able to connect iPhone or any other device, that does not work as simple USB storage (FAT32 formated). Android phones based on KitKat will also not work, as those are using MTP protocol.
So if you in fact have 5" media system, don't bother with any cables, as it's just waste of money - it will just not work.
Instead get SD card. It's better than USB stick, as with sticks it sometimes happens, that media system freezes. It does not happen with SD.

Evilnim

Oct 20, 2014
As above - depends on the media system. My iPhone 6 works ok by using the 30 pin ipod media cable supplied with the car into the media in socket in the glovebox, and an apple lightening adaptor on that. This is on a mk3 se with sat nav and media sys plus. Otherwise do you have bluetooth streaming?

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
Do you have standard Media System Colour (5"), Media System Plus (5.8") or Sat Nav?
Judging by your description (one USB and Aux only in glove box) you have Media System Colour, which does NOT support anything else, than USB storage devices. So you'll not be able to connect iPhone or any other device, that does not work as simple USB storage (FAT32 formated). Android phones based on KitKat will also not work, as those are using MTP protocol.
So if you in fact have 5" media system, don't bother with any cables, as it's just waste of money - it will just not work.
Instead get SD card. It's better than USB stick, as with sticks it sometimes happens, that media system freezes. It does not happen with SD.

Thanks for that. I have the 5" media system. I've got a usb stick in there just now but I do also have a spare sd card so might try swapping to that.

As above - depends on the media system. My iPhone 6 works ok by using the 30 pin ipod media cable supplied with the car into the media in socket in the glovebox, and an apple lightening adaptor on that. This is on a mk3 se with sat nav and media sys plus. Otherwise do you have bluetooth streaming?

Yes got the bt streaming and it works fine.

Thanks all for the replys.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members