IPOD adaptor on Leon Mk 2

iandjm

Nov 23, 2007
Isle of Wight
Hi All,

I have had my first seat for a week now, and as a devoted VW owner am finding the car even better than I have been used to. I am thinking of adding an ipod adaptor to the car. I have noticed the seat web site lists one for £99, but it clearly states its not suitable for cars with an 3.5mm aux input for the stereo. My car (and I believe all new cars) has this aux input. Would I be correct in assuming that the aux in connector will be plugged into the quadlock connector where I will need to plug in the ipod adaptor lead? I guess if this is true I can simply disconnect the auz input connector at the head unit and plug in the ipod lead. Any ideas on this? does anyone have a Mk 2 Leon with an aux input and an ipod adaptor lead?

Many thanks

Ian

amnesia

Edition 30
Apr 17, 2007
West Midlands
In my opinion, the AUX is better than the IPOD connector. I mean, sure you can change tracks and stuff, but you only get four playlists and it's not really as good as I thought it would be. If I had the choice, I would have just stuck with the AUX socket. Much easier and you can change track yourself, as well as knowing what you're playing. The only good thing about the IPOD is that you have no wires.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
You get 5 playlists mapped to CD 1 -5 and a 'Now Playing' on 6... So you choose your album / playlist on the ipod and then shove it in the dock and hit 6 on the stereo. Simple.

And the other benefit is it gets charged whilst in the dock...

I only ever used my ipod in my car so it was fine for me.

Werolito

I have the same question, can someone help me?

I have had my first seat for a week now, and as a devoted VW owner am finding the car even better than I have been used to. I am thinking of adding an ipod adaptor to the car. I have noticed the seat web site lists one for £99, but it clearly states its not suitable for cars with an 3.5mm aux input for the stereo. My car (and I believe all new cars) has this aux input. Would I be correct in assuming that the aux in connector will be plugged into the quadlock connector where I will need to plug in the ipod adaptor lead? I guess if this is true I can simply disconnect the auz input connector at the head unit and plug in the ipod lead. Any ideas on this? does anyone have a Mk 2 Leon with an aux input and an ipod adaptor lead?

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
have you ipodders thought about a bluetooth dongle attached to the bottom of your ipod and plugging in a bluetooth receiver into the aux socket? cost would be about 40 for the receiver (jabra bt3030) and the transmitter would be about the same (blu nya i think is the one. the receiver has something called avrcp control which allows basic player control but would mean that you can also use the receiver as a bluetooth handsfree in car if you have no bt option and out and about too.

### edited ###

worst case you can control the player in your hand.

Last edited:

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Dension are releasing a VW CAN compatible version in July that will give you track / artist names on the larger MFD...

Woo-hoo!

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
After lots of googling, it seems that this *might* already be available. Part number rumoured was GW15VC1 (as opposed to current one of GW15VW1), but don't quote me on that.

Does anyone know what the name/code of our current 'standard' radio head units is? My guess was 'RCD300' or 'RCD500' depending on if we've got the MP3 version fitted from MY07 onwards.

Might take mine out over the weekend to have a look...

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Dension are releasing a VW CAN compatible version in July that will give you track / artist names on the larger MFD...

Woo-hoo!

Sounds good ;)

IMG_4876-vi.jpg

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
I emailed Dension to confirm the model number. They said it was due for release soon but that it wouldn't be comaptible with the MFD2, a model that would be compatible is due for release around July.

From what I can gather the reason for this is that the unit makes use of the data path which the satnav uses for the road names...

http://www.dension.com/GW100.php

The piccys on that page shows a Golf MkV with MFD.

Yet another reason to go for the BT option! :)

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I emailed Dension to confirm the model number. They said it was due for release soon but that it wouldn't be comaptible with the MFD2, a model that would be compatible is due for release around July.

From what I can gather the reason for this is that the unit makes use of the data path which the satnav uses for the road names...

http://www.dension.com/GW100.php

The piccys on that page shows a Golf MkV with MFD.

Yet another reason to go for the BT option! :)
Can you clarify what you mean by 'MFD2' - is that the large MFD on the instrument cluster that you get with the BlueTooth option, or is it another name for one of the VW SatNav units?

I just want it to work and display ID3 tags on with the instrument cluster large MFD (that you get with BT) and the standard radio/CD unit that is fitted to Mk2 Leons.

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
MFD = Large screen with Bluetooth option
MFD2 = Sat nav

Yes, it should display ID3 tags on the instrument clusters.

The email I sent was:

> I have a Seat Leon 2005 with MFD2 sat nav. This is exactly the same unit as that fitted to VW Golf MkVs.
>
> I understand that the unit I need is GW15VW1 however your website shows track names being displayed on the MFD in a Golf. I have read on some internet forums that I need the CAN version of the Gateway 100.
>
> Can you confirm what model and where I can buy this unit from and whether I will get track details displayed on the MFD (not the head unit).

With the reply being:

The new VW can will be available soon but it seems your navigation Head Unit will not be supported.
It will be but not at the same time as product launch.
So I would like to ask you patience. The modified CAN device will be come around July 2008.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I emailed Dension regarding this issue. Here's what I asked:

I'm interested in buying the Gateway 100 and have heard that there is a version I can buy that is compatible with the standard OEM fitted radio/cd head unit in my 2008 Seat Leon *and* will also display song/artist text information on the multi-funtion display in the instrument cluster. Will the GW15VC1 model do this?
I've attached photos of my head unit (Head Unit.jpg) and the dashboard display (MFD.JPG) if this helps.

and here's their reply...

Dear Mike,

The GW15VC1 is compatible with your Head Unit and probably you will be able to get TEXT also on your cluster display.
THe text will not be visible on your Head Unit.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Please confirm that our reply was satisfactory.

Kind regards,

Dension Support Team

I'm now just looking around for the best price for the unit before going ahead...

Last edited:

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I've used my Dension in the Apple UI instead of the Dension one in my last 3 cars (mk1, tt, mk2).

Works miles better and you can still skip tracks and change the volume etc.

Yoggo

Does anyone think this will work with the existing IPOD dock option for the Leon? I guess you'd probably need to fit a new adaptor somewhere but hopefully it would use the existing wiring, then the Ipod would be nice and secure underneath the seat. This would be fantastic with the info on the dash and hopefully the ability to select tracks, etc from the steering wheel.

Yoggo

Just looked at the website http://www.dension.com/oem1.php for Leons (2004 onwards) and it quotes
RCD300, RCD500, RNS4 all work with GW15VW1 for the Gateway 100. Still not sure which version I've got on my 57 FR though! I used to have RCD500 on my Golf.

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
That model will not give track numbers on the MFD. You do have Bluetooth, don't you? If not, that will be the one you want - as you don't have the display for the track names.

The Quadlok connectors are the same between all the headunits you list. I think the reason why Seat say that the Ipod adaptor isn't suitable for cars fitted with the Aux in is that you will lose that if you fit the Ipod adpater - they must both plug in to the same port - the 6CD autochanger port.

Concho

Jan 6, 2008
Southport
I asked my dealer a few weeks ago to fit this ipod connector that SEAT provide:

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/SEAT/site/Service/original-accessories/main.html

He said it would fit fine and mine has an AUX socket. All it is is a lead that goes to the back of the stereo with two connectors at the other end. One a yellow connector that plugs in to the steering wheel controls, and one that goes to the glove box for the ipod. He had one there to show me.

I also asked seremotors (here and on ebay) if he could supply it cheaper he said £90 delivered.

My dealer said the main problem with fitting is getting the radio out and it would cost one and a half hours labour at £85 plus VAT per hour!! That's the only reason I haven't had it fitted yet but I still think I will after pay day!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.