iPod - Connects2 kit - Plugs in at the boot?

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
i bought the same cd changer adapter and it does just replace the cd changer in the boot. i followed the cable from the boot down the passenger side and managed to get it relocated into the centre console under the stereo.
the cable for the cd changer goes behind the passenger side rear quarter card, then down the passenger side by the footwell and in behind the glovebox

thats where i thought it went! thanks alot fella, will do this one night this week. much prefer to use this one so you can control it via stereo controls [B)]

NorcyUK

thats where i thought it went! thanks alot fella, will do this one night this week. much prefer to use this one so you can control it via stereo controls [B)]

No probs mate! mine works a treat and sounds really good with uprated front speakers and my sub :happy:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
rolo king that is amazeing for £ 7.50 thanx ordering one now how you find that ?:funk:
and 45 cb i would recomend you buy the one in the link above and flog yours on save you alot of time and hassle mate .

Cos I bought all my speakers and stuff from that website... I did find this after i purchased my similar one off of ebay tho (cost more) does the same :)...

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
just for the record.....

DON'T DO THIS! The cable is 8-9 wires that run into the cars loom, goes in to boot carpet, to the rear light loom, down behind the door card and trims, under the seats, down the side of the car, underneath and towards the airbag loom for the passenger seat, up and behind the dash and on top of all this its all covered in electrical tape and wrapped up!!

NOT FUN..... but its ready to have the connects2 adaptor put in now :)

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Want the quality to be spot on thought, and the iPod sounds better than the cd changer!

If you have a standard setup then go for the £7.50 option, but i've got vibe components & the big square 6x9's all off a rockford fosgate amp so no point skimping and loosing quality

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Does the ipod not come through the exact same CD changer connection to the back of the stereo??...

In the end..Aslong as all your connectors are good (gold plated), Im pretty sure you cant tell the difference.. there is no humming, no quality loss etc..I went for the 28quid one mind, which has an earth but the rca's will do the same job..

Im not a fan of those vibe 6x9s the grey square ones?...theyre kinda harsh when turned up loud.. nice base tho.. i have a fairly good set up including my recent purchases/installments and there is no quality lost - in my ears anyway :)

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Does the ipod not come through the exact same CD changer connection to the back of the stereo??...

In the end..Aslong as all your connectors are good (gold plated), Im pretty sure you cant tell the difference.. there is no humming, no quality loss etc..I went for the 28quid one mind, which has an earth but the rca's will do the same job..

Im not a fan of those vibe 6x9s the grey square ones?...theyre kinda harsh when turned up loud.. nice base tho.. i have a fairly good set up including my recent purchases/installments and there is no quality lost - in my ears anyway :)

Don't like the look of the grey square ones no but sound good for me off the amp, the lead connects to the wiring block in the boot, hence back tracking to the stereo, all worth it though

Or buy an xcarlink, use the stereo controls, and still keep the cd changer.

Indeed, but the connects2 was a present so cant grumble! :D

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Well... connects2 say that its very rare that a changer is in the boot and should be in the glovebox or under the passenger seat... and can't I just control it from the headunit and put the iPod in the boot...

What a bunch of muppets lol

BlondieVAG

i have my ipod in my car, plugged in a little connector behind the glove box, works great! lol! no more going in the boot to change song! also its all controlled through the seat head unit so i dont have to touch my ipod.. that just sits in my little cubby hole under the stereo! x

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
pretty much the same as ive done mine, could put up a guide for anyone getting this kit if needed. apart from i've ran my cable behind the stereo and down underneath the centre console then directly to the ashtray so everythings hidden away when the ipods removed by closing the ashtray again :)

just got to build something to mount it upright now

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Connects2 do the correct box, you just bought the wrong one as you now know ;-)

You can buy the CORRECT Connects2 setup from Halfords for about £40. I know this because I made this mistake myself about 3 years ago, then swapped it for the right part. It was a special order, not in stock, took a day to get it.

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Connects2 do the correct box, you just bought the wrong one as you now know ;-)

You can buy the CORRECT Connects2 setup from Halfords for about £40. I know this because I made this mistake myself about 3 years ago, then swapped it for the right part. It was a special order, not in stock, took a day to get it.

:blink:

.... Well, I suppose atleast I have experience on the ibizas wiring loom, fixed my boot light bulb thats never worked, and know how to remove 99% of the interior..... :whistle:

Connects2 still assured me its the correct kit lol???!!! find me a link?

Last edited:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Don't like the look of the grey square ones no but sound good for me off the amp, the lead connects to the wiring block in the boot, hence back tracking to the stereo, all worth it though

heh, im not a fan of the sound, amped too.. but still.. makes no odds - using a simple mp3 connector produces the same quality of music listened to.. but yea - well done for takin everything out lol - tis more effort than the 5 mins it took me to sort out mp3 connectivity lol ;)

ndbrgr

THFC
Jul 21, 2008
Kent
anybody done a guide to fitting the kit yet, wanting to get rid of that cassette tape :D

Have you already bought the connects2 kit then? If not I would definitely recommend getting the xcarlink. Sound like it does exactly the same thing (controls the iPod via stereo controls), but much easier to fit. It just plugs straight into the back of the HU.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

Last edited:

T_higgs89

Need more POWER!!!
Feb 2, 2009
Wirksworth
Have you already bought the connects2 kit then? If not I would definitely recommend getting the xcarlink. Sound like it does exactly the same thing (controls the iPod via stereo controls), but much easier to fit. It just plugs straight into the back of the HU.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

no i planned on getting the 2 different wires from caraudiosecurity as i thought that teh cheaper option would be best, just a few questions about it.

1. how does it control through the headunit?
2. where do i earth it to and where does the live wire connect for the Ipod dock cable?

many thanks

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members