iPod - Track Names Displayed On Radio?

NDF1982

Hi all,

After searching the form for an answer, I couldn't seem to find one!

So, has anyone had any success with getting the track names from their iPod displayed on the radio's display? Is it impossible?

I cannot understand why it would be impossible to do this, it seems relatively straight forward, but I'm no expert at things like this, so hopefully some of the more skilled members of the forum in this area have found a solution!

Thanks for your help!

Nick

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not possible as far as I am aware with the iPod kit. I think if you have the correct ID tag info on an MP3 when using the headunit and MP3 CD then it should display track names. But the iPod lead doesn't support it as far as I am aware.

NDF1982

Thanks for your reply mate.

I read on a post when doing the search earlier that you could get track names displayed using an MP3 CD, which is good, but I find it quite odd that you cannot get them displayed with the iPod connection.

I'm assuming that it's the type of connection, that's causing the problem? Like the socket that the lead connects to at the back of head unit cannot interpret the info sent from iPod?

robjw

There is supposed to be a special VW CAN-BUS version of the new Dension gateway which will interface with the MFD directly. I bit like the way the bluetooth kit shows names/numbers.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for your reply mate.

I read on a post when doing the search earlier that you could get track names displayed using an MP3 CD, which is good, but I find it quite odd that you cannot get them displayed with the iPod connection.

I'm assuming that it's the type of connection, that's causing the problem? Like the socket that the lead connects to at the back of head unit cannot interpret the info sent from iPod?

I think it works basically as a disc changer interface. Which is why your limited to 6 playlists on the iPod. The auxiliary lead doesn't appear to support the tag info.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I have the factory fit ipod connector and to be honest it seems like an afterthought, in the way that it treats the ipod like a CD changer.

The MP3 facility as standard is excellent, but the ipod connector has the following niggles:

1. Doesn't display the track name
2. Can only handle 5 playlists plus 1 (which is all tracks I think)
3. Can only skip a track at a time, making navigation difficult (if anyone knows how to skip 10 or 100 tracks at a time, I'd be grateful to find out how)
4. Only displays track numbers 1-99 then track 100 will be displayed as track 1 again

I think they have done the minimum to get ipod connectivity by just using the existing CD changer interface.

MrDeY

When I found that there is no track/artist name displayed on the head-unit, using original iPod kit, I contact Dension and ask if IceLink can. They told me, that VW's protocol used to communicate between headunit and cd-changer doesn't support this function, so it is impossible to show track/artist name on headunit...:(

robjw

If you press disc 6, you get the dension menu on the ipod's display. You can then select any playlist you want. Also, if you have the ipod on shuffle and hear a track you like you can press disc 6 and select album play from the same menu which will then play the whole album.

This is all only any good if you have the ipod mounted where you can see it!

NDF1982

Thanks for all of your help with this guys.

I agree with the ZBOYD and most other's opinions, that the iPod link was a bit of an afterthought and not particularily well thought through. It doesn't seem very user-friendly at all!

Does anyone know if the factory fitted kit is actually manufactured by Denison?

Nick

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help with this guys.

I agree with the ZBOYD and most other's opinions, that the iPod link was a bit of an afterthought and not particularily well thought through. It doesn't seem very user-friendly at all!

Does anyone know if the factory fitted kit is actually manufactured by Denison?

Nick

I had the Dension Ice Link in my Mk 1 Leon, and it performed identically to the ipod kit in the Mk 2 in every respect :)

robjw

It wasn't really a thought at all as it's just an aftermarket Dension kit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.