Is this a good price for front pads?

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Well my car just passed its 1st MOT test. But advised the front pads need replaced urgently.

The dealer is saying £143 fitted. Not sure if that includes VAT so i'll assume it doesn't.

Is that a reasonable price?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Well my car just passed its 1st MOT test. But advised the front pads need replaced urgently.

The dealer is saying £143 fitted. Not sure if that includes VAT so i'll assume it doesn't.

£143 just for pads & fitting - WTF !!!!!!!!!

Someone is having a giraffee at your expense.

Depending on the car - they start from around £20 an axle set.

What car is it ?

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Crono Yellow Ibiza Cupra Pd 160 TDi according to his sig.

GSF have them instock for 642VG0360 BRAKE PAD SET-FR IBIZA 02> PR-1LN/1ZH + SENSORS 32.40.

A local garage will fit them for near enough 50 quid.

Stealers mate... they'll love you :)

Just looked, lol dont hink these are the ones for the cupra... but anyway gsf they were the most exspensive set of pads, cheapest being 20 quid

ss55eat

Nov 28, 2008
Pads for a Cupra (you should have the red painted AP racing calipers with Seat Sport written on them) are something like £55 from Sere Motors. (Seat OEM pads are made by AP racing.) The fitting kit is something like another £50 (4 replacement pins and 2 anti rattle springs) although if you are lucky you could reuse the old parts. Normal dealer retail prices will be a fair bit higher. They can also be a complete **** to fit as the pins seize in place. I think £143 isn't too bad - make sure you get a firm price before they find out they have to replace the pins as well!

Apr 27, 2008
i bought some pads for my car ( cupra tdi) and they were £60inc p+p from sere motors. im having the same problem changing mine over though, the fu**ing pins are stuck. iv bin told by a few people on here that if you email AP and tell them the problem your having they will send you new pins for free, so iv emialed them. :)

TazB

Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Pads for a Cupra (you should have the red painted AP racing calipers with Seat Sport written on them) are something like £55 from Sere Motors. (Seat OEM pads are made by AP racing.) The fitting kit is something like another £50 (4 replacement pins and 2 anti rattle springs) although if you are lucky you could reuse the old parts. Normal dealer retail prices will be a fair bit higher. They can also be a complete **** to fit as the pins seize in place. I think £143 isn't too bad - make sure you get a firm price before they find out they have to replace the pins as well!

Exactly what i was thinking mate. Or £80 for ferodo pads. Would rather pay some1 to do it considering i dont have any tools and i've never changed pads before, dont wanna take the risk on something so important.

Think i'll check the price includs fitting kit.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I very much doubt £143 includes a new fitting kit. For those that had problems, a 3 or better 3.5mm (if you have one) short parallel punch is needed. If you have the right tools, the job is made much easier. I have changed the pads in my lunch break at work (45 mins) and I had time to eat a sandwich as well :)

Also the oem pads are AP badged but are actually Delphi Lockheed, well mine were anyway.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
Front pads are really easy to fit yourself, you need minmal tools. give it a bash yourself, if your that unsure, get a mate who knows what their doing to look over your shoulder while your doing it. its the only way you learn to do stuff :) Euro car parts sell pretty cheap pads, if you can get to a shop also you can nock nearly a tenner off their internet prices too

andycupra

status subject to change
firstly take a look at the pads. i bet while they are low its not a complete emergency as they suggest.

oh and the word dealer in the quote means we need do no investigation into the price as we know it will be silly expenensive.

You can get them done for alot less, or alternatively if you are prepared to pay about that then look at upgrading the pads to ferrodo ds..

James FR

Ya gotta love stealers and their scare mongering ways....

If they were urgent, it wouldnt have passed the MOT, I bet they said they could do them there and then 4 u. " Well the car is stripped down, we may as well do them now for only £143".

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
so what tools exactly?

8mm Allen Key (although it might be 6mm I can't remember)
3mm Short parallel punch (3.5 would be better)
Ideally a long 3mm parallel punch but a drill bit turned the wrong way round can be used just to push the pins back
Hammer

I used the handle part of the hammer to push on the pads to press the pistons back but you may need a large screwdriver to lever and push them a little further. I also used the flat of the screwdriver to scrape the dust deposits off the stainless pad guides.

copper grease

That's it :)

TazB

Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Ya gotta love stealers and their scare mongering ways....

If they were urgent, it wouldnt have passed the MOT, .

Thats my thinking too. You were almost right, they said they'd have to order the pads in an do it another day. I'll get some pics of the pads up.

Darkhorse: you make it sound so easy i'd be a fool not to give it a go.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Thats my thinking too. You were almost right, they said they'd have to order the pads in an do it another day. I'll get some pics of the pads up.

Darkhorse: you make it sound so easy i'd be a fool not to give it a go.

If you have any practical skills, the right tools and a spare hour, it is easy. I was really surprised how easy it was. The short punch is the most important tool I've found, as anything too long or a smaller diameter either bends or bounces off the pins. It might help giving the pins, bolts and around the tubes a quick spray with wd40 making sure not to get any on the discs when you get the wheels off.

Going back to the 'urgent' comment, when my dad had his freelander he got a phone call from the dealer who were servicing it telling him that the car shouldn't be driven without new front discs and pads. He said to wait because he wanted to check himself and when he did there was plenty of life left. He then asked to see the mechanic who advised this and asked him how many miles he were remaining. The mechanics answer was 3k miles which was 4-5 months for my dad as he hardly used the car. Urgent to a dealer means they will need replacing before the next service.
If any garage tells me that the discs and pads need replacing, I want the dimensions of pad material remaining and disc thickness before I will make my decision

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Going back to the 'urgent' comment, when my dad had his freelander he got a phone call from the dealer who were servicing it telling him that the car shouldn't be driven without new front discs and pads. He said to wait because he wanted to check himself and when he did there was plenty of life left. He then asked to see the mechanic who advised this and asked him how many miles he were remaining. The mechanics answer was 3k miles which was 4-5 months for my dad as he hardly used the car. Urgent to a dealer means they will need replacing before the next service.
If any garage tells me that the discs and pads need replacing, I want the dimensions of pad material remaining and disc thickness before I will make my decision

I got stung by Vauxhall on this "your car needs new front discs and pads urgently", again because the car was in warrenty I said yes, but should have told them to get stuffed. Exactly the same as DARKHORSE, won't get caught again on this.[:@]

justjoe

just had my front disks and pads replaced, at a local garage for £96 including labour. Pretty cheap i thought!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members