Is this clutch slip or just loss of traction?

thermalp4

Nov 1, 2004
South Wales
Just wanted to check if the symptoms i'm gonna describe is just traction loss?

When i floor it second recently the revs shoot up but the traction control light flashes and due to icy roads i thought that this is traction loss.

But i just read a thread on clutch slipping and my car is doing something similar with regards to flooring in and then the revs shooting up but the car not moving accordingly.

It is icy out but i would just like someone elses opinion.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
the TCS light would not flash if the clutch was slipping, but the wheels slipping (icy roads as you say)
5th gear wheelspin myself tonight whilst logging >100mph

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
stoneyfordNI said:
bill u forgot to mention 400 shergars helping u lite ur fronts up

er yea.. did i forget to mention that? saw 27/28psi boost too :hide:-revised code trial last night.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
if your revs rise and your speedo doesn't its clutch slip (or not in gear, duh) if both speedo and revs rise too quickly then its wheel spin or you got a monster under the bonnet

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Forbez said:
Bill what ACT temps were you running?

I'm thinkin of getting a ACT gauge, for when the Forge FMIC is fitted.

by ACT you mean induction temps yes?
They max'd at 20'C - Ambient was 3'C

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
jonathanp said:
if your revs rise and your speedo doesn't its clutch slip (or not in gear, duh) if both speedo and revs rise too quickly then its wheel spin or you got a monster under the bonnet

yes but the TCS light doesnt light when the clutch slips does it

its wheelspin

flashbsd

its wheelspin thats all, i'm turning remap off for winter days like these, plus then it feels like a new car when you go back to it in the spring! :)

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
stoneyfordNI said:
yes but the TCS light doesnt light when the clutch slips does it

its wheelspin

nope but if TCS is turned off or you have a fault it wont flash when the wheels are spinning either

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
the guy said his TCS light flashed and his revs spiked , he never mentioned his speedo never rose , he said my car didnt accelerate accordingly

if his TCS was off , or had a fault the light would be on accordingly , nor is this a thread detailing the multiple interpretations of dash board symbols

phew i feel better now

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
don't really see what the problem is I was just giving information that was relevant and might be useful for future reference for anyone else that might come across the thread

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.