is this the start of a big problem? ? ? ? NOW WITH PICTURES!!!

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
almost every journey it does the water temp gets up to full and stays there.

I suppose i am just fearing the worst but its the whole warranty issue.

No oil in water and no gunk in the engine.

Its just on the capand round the top

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
almost every journey it does the water temp gets up to full and stays there.

I suppose i am just fearing the worst but its the whole warranty issue.

No oil in water and no gunk in the engine.

Its just on the capand round the top

Water temp may well get up but the actual engine temp may not espessially if you are driving to get good MPG. Personally I have seen the same sort of deposits on perfectly healthy cars that do shorter trips. 12 miles to work is deffo a short trip IMO. Send pics to dealer and report the issue but I suspect your engine is fine. Lots of engines do this, it's because the crank case gasses are recirculated. My FR does the same as my wife does 2.5 miles each way to work every day but I do use it for long trips most weekends.

Last edited:

fireblade929

Jul 11, 2010
Cleethorpes
dont worry about that, tell the dealer so it is logged on the computer, just stop and think what the weather has been like recently, -10c!! most cars at service have this on the oil cap, and yes i have worked in vag dealerships.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
dont worry about that, tell the dealer so it is logged on the computer, just stop and think what the weather has been like recently, -10c!! most cars at service have this on the oil cap, and yes i have worked in vag dealerships.

what do the dealers do to check for hgf is it the compresion test?

I have got to travel to retford on sat so it will give it a good run about an hour there and an hour back

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
They use a CO2 probe like the one for your exhaust emissions test and see if the coolant has CO2 in it. They can check for antifreeze traces in the oil too. This is all well and good but because of crank case breathing and diesel engine compression/blow past the rings you will always get CO2 in your engine oil, this is why your oil always goes black too.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi mate ,

I think you have nothing to worry about at all , my old XR2 used to do this all the time because of short journeys , the way to get rid of it is to do an oil change go for a long drive , run the car for a week and change the oil again , should clear it up.

Just because the temperature gauge has got up to temp it doesnt mean the oil has !
oil is hydroscopic , means it attracts water , this is basically what is happening on short journeys , your oil is getting warm then cold quickly the oil and water try to seperate making the milky gunk.

Get SEAT to check it out but i think this is the answer you will get , but what ever happens change the oil , it will slowly get really sludgy and start blocking pipes and shag your pcv , you may even find it drives better once the gunk has gone.

Poverty

just cause engine temp is at 90 doesnt mean your oil is up to a gd operating temp.

I have a oil temp gauge in the TT and the oil takes up to 15 mins normal driving to get to 90 degrees at roughly average speed of 50mph.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
UPDATE:

I have spoken to dealer and they have advised me it is more than likely condensation
It is booked for a full service on christmas eve and they are going to test it to be on the safe side

So i guess panic maybe put on hold till then