Its down to a Focus ST or a Cupra Mk2

vestan

I'm sure this thread is a bit Bill Murray, but I'm ready to trade in my 4 year old Clio 172 Cup which I have had from new for something a bit bigger (baby due early 2008), but still as much fun. I have driven the new Leon Cupra and was mightily impressed. The brakes were a huge improvement on the spongy Clio ones. As for the power, it was something else.
Still feel I need to drive a Focus ST though to check it out and rule it out.

I do a fair bit of business mileage (approx 8k per annum), so need something that is fun, quick, but reasonanbly economical (30mpg+).

I'm ready to take the plunge with the Leon Cupra, just need somebody to talk me out of it, or convince me even more than I already am. Having regularly visited the Saxosportsclub and ClioSport forums over the past 7 years, this place seems like the next logical step!

Cheers
VP

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well if you do a fair bit of mileage then the ST isnt for you because from reports on it drinks a lot. By all means drive them both and make your own conclusion up. :)

Welcome to SCN!

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

you cant go wrong with a cupra

i found the focus boring compared to it

no feel when you are pushing it

Irfan

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Which ST? You've got to get the Recaros otherwise the interior is shite. Be careful - you do know the ST3 is a four seater?

Boot's tiny on the ST. The car's due for a facelift soon, if that bothers you.

There's a few peeps on here that have had them and changed, so you might get so more direct ownership experience than from me, but I understand they are disappointing to drive, probably down to JC's "ASBO" feature.

The one I test drove (ST3) did feel very nicely put together, but I was disappointed in the drive, felt boring.

Right now, it would be a Cupra for me.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
I have tried both.

The Focus is so so refined (sound proofing) and a much softer ride. I did however find myself horribly disconnected in the Focus. It felt "over engineered" and trying to be too much for too many.

The Focus lacks the toys of the Cupra (even without options). No climate as standard on a top spec ST-3??

The 5 cylinder T5 engine in the Focus sounds awesome. Sorry Cupra fans but the Focus sounds incredible. The engine is also fiery but needs working harder than the TFSI in the Cupra.

Fuel economy was about the same in both demonstrators. Both only had 500 miles or so, so they needed bedding in.

Personally, I am a driver and I found the Cupra a better drivers car as it felt more rapid and alive than the Focus. Depends on what you look for in a car. Both are great cars but suited to slightly different mindsets :)

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Neither is particularly economical but the 2.5 in the Focus guzzles unleaded. Doubt very much you'd ever see >30mpg from it.

Cupra is much more exclusive. How many Orange STs do you see on the roads these days. Loads!

I must admit I like them both, and would happily own either (although not an Orange ST). I just think the ST looks too chavvy for it's own good and the bodykit is a bit cheap and tacky. Although people slate the Cupra for being too understated, the overall look is much more to my tastes.

Simple answer is drive the ST. Then you can properly compare the two.

If you're really worried about economy then why not go for the FR TDi ?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Yup I would go with the Leon... but then I would say that.

On the back of this months EVO, there is an advert for 0% finance across the range on SEAT models which would be perfect.

Now if only I didnt do a gazillion miles a year... I know where I would be now
(leon Cupra R with a remap... 300+bhp :cloud9:

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

oh one thing i did notice about the ST is the rear seatbelts are too short for a lot of car seats

Irfan

vestan

If you're really worried about economy then why not go for the FR TDi ?

I'm not really worried, more a slight concern!

I have thought about a TDi, but just feel I would always be asking why I didnt go for the Cupra. We have to have some pleasures in life and driving is one of them!

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
If the facelift was out I'd be tempted to go for the ST - the engine sounds just SO good.

It doesn't feel particurally quick though, my FT TDI feels as quick.

Ride wise, I know the cupra is different to the FR but I find the FR a little hard - the ST was much smoother.

I've not dirve then Cupra though, but if it feels significanlty quicker than the ST then that could sway it for me.

Both excellent cars though.

s3quence

Aug 16, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
I'm sure this thread is a bit Bill Murray, but I'm ready to trade in my 4 year old Clio 172 Cup which I have had from new for something a bit bigger (baby due early 2008), but still as much fun. I have driven the new Leon Cupra and was mightily impressed. The brakes were a huge improvement on the spongy Clio ones. As for the power, it was something else.
Still feel I need to drive a Focus ST though to check it out and rule it out.

I do a fair bit of business mileage (approx 8k per annum), so need something that is fun, quick, but reasonanbly economical (30mpg+).

I'm ready to take the plunge with the Leon Cupra, just need somebody to talk me out of it, or convince me even more than I already am. Having regularly visited the Saxosportsclub and ClioSport forums over the past 7 years, this place seems like the next logical step!

Cheers
VP

Cupra!...Cupra!...Cupra!...Cupra!

I test drove both as well as the Octavia VRS and Civic Type R and the 200BHP FR and none of them felt as good as the cupra! I too have a baby due in Jan and boot space is perfect for a pram and all the crap you need to carry plus the baby seats all fit in the cupra (didnt in the fabia cos of the curved back seats! well that was my excuse anyways!!)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
You are bound to get most people saying Cupra on here as it is a SEAT forum just as you would get the Fordy folks saying ST on their forums. I have driven both cars and both are very good. Where the Ford scores on engine note, it loses on poorer mpg and higher emissions (1g/km under the £400 barrier). Where the SEAT makes up for being a new model, the ST makes it up for being unmistakably top of the range.

Try both and see. Neither are bad cars :)

lasbazrre

Sep 15, 2007
Manchester
Hiya mate, i'm picking up my new Cupra in a couple of weeks , i'm coming from a tuned clio 182 ( a quick fun car )

I test drove ST2, R26, and the Cupra, the ST felt a bit big, the brakes felt spongy, the 2.5 Volvo engaine is getting old now and it's not a patch on the Cupra's TFSI , It did sound meaty tho, but there just too common!

R26 was more like the Clio ( a go-cart ) but more grown up.
Cos of the poor resale value, and bobbins build and dealer's there was only one choice!

Go for the Cupra mate! my money is where my mouth is!

leon

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I've driven both as well and in an ideal world would have probably gone for the Focus.

The big drawback would be fuel economy.

On the Cupra you are looking 30 mpg on a long run if you stick to the speed limit. Max of about 34 mpg if you knock the speed down on a run.

Normal motorway driving is about 27 mpg. Taking into account the overall figures for an ST are less than the Cupra, I would imagine the ST to use a lot more than this.

Other plus points for the Cupra, not as common on the road. Have only ever seen 3 others on the road bar coming out of the SEAT track day in 5 months. I probably see 3 ST's everytime I go out.

Depreciation is very heavy on the ST as well.

s3quence

Aug 16, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Other plus points for the Cupra, not as common on the road. Have only ever seen 3 others on the road bar coming out of the SEAT track day in 5 months. I probably see 3 ST's everytime I go out.

Depreciation is very heavy on the ST as well.

I second that I have saw 4 cupra, I test drove 2 and 1 is the one I bought and other was around town. ST's are more and more common

Also looks like the new ST is out next year so current one will be a bit old skool oh and its a ford! :rolleyes:

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
My preference, like the majority on this site, is for the Cupra (surprise, surprise).
Neither car is going to give you diesel-type mpg figures but the ST does have a terrible reputation for gas-guzzling (18 to 22 mpg is not unusual).
Many ST owners are unloading their cars for this particular reason. The other things that put me off are:
1) The, generally speaking, poorer build quality of the Focus compared to the Leon.
2) The attitude of Ford "Customer Service" when things go wrong.
If you think SEAT is average in this respect then visit the Honest John site (www.honestjohn.co.uk) and search for "Ford" in the Back Room / Technical Matters. Ford customers with genuine and common, recurring problems are treated very poorly. For example, there is a definite problem with Ford diesel pumps but Ford refuses to acknowledge this (too costly for a recall) and customers are wrongly accused of using incorrect or contaminated fuel.

The customer feedback from "What Car" is very positive for the Leon and much less so for the Focus. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Last edited:

Daz_25

I was in a similar position to yourself, but really didnt like the ST. Nice car dont get me wrong but the instant I sat in the Cupra it felt right. Although I ended up buying the FR TDi in the end for the fuel economy.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.