jack point cover wont re-attach

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
Hi,

I had my car jacked up the other day to take the front wheels off. Therefore I unclipped the covers on the side skirt that cover the jacking points.

The problem is I cant get the buggers to clip back on. They appeared to be clipped on fine but when i got out of my car after a short, slow, and in no way bumpy ride they were just dangling by the plastic cable thingy (thank god i had that or i'd have lost them). despite trying and trying they wont clip back on and in the end i had to cut the anti loss cable and chuck them in the boot.

Also, i noticed one had been screwed at some point, perhaps because someone at the garage had similar problems???

anyway, the end result is that my car looks as though there are bits missing from the side skirt, which is indeed the case.

any ideas or has anyone had similar problems???

advice/tips appreciated.

Satilaboy

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem when I jacked my old Tdi up. I think the problem was that in order to get the cover off I had to use quite a bit of force which must have slightly mis-shaped the cover. I spent ages trying to re-bend the cover (by hand) so that it would clip back in properly. It worked in the end, but you could see it was mis-shaped as it wasn't quite flush with the skirt anymore. Crap design IMO.

paul26982

i had the same problem too, had to tape 2 of them up and go to the dealer, they couldnt do 1 and had to put it up ahight, eventually got sorted, but scrape it by dragging it all the way home was gutted

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
There is a technique to putting them back on. You have to lie down and observe how the locking tabs work. I stuggled for ages[:@] too beofore I relised how they work.
You will notice that the force needs to be applied mostly front on, and not from directly underneath as you may first think. Just locate the front hinge part then use the palm of your hand to push in that direction. Somtimes they need a bit of a knock, but they are then no problem.:clap:

dannyk

leon cupra
Oct 3, 2004
Aberdeen
I had a mare with these too, until i found an easier way to do it:

Stick the top of the sill cover in place, with one hand hold it up against the sideskirt, and with the other hand use a small flat head screw driver to force the clip in like so:

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

Do that on both sides of the sill cover

Hope that helps (and you can understand it!!!!)

Cheers

Danny

Last edited:

paul26982

i tried always, they will not be coming off anytome now!

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Mate i tried everything and out of frustration i kicked it, and it popped back in like a charm. Make sure you have a soft shoe, a slipper would be ideal, line it up and kick it dead centre.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
The best tool to you is the heel of your hand, clip in the top, hold back in position and whack with the heel of you hand from underneath.

You'll need to give it a good whack but unless you have girly hands you should be fine ;)

Cunners

Jan 19, 2007
Connah's Quay, nr Chester
i had the same problem 2 days ago had got some wax in all four so my mate decided to pop em off to give them a gud clean luckily he only took off 1 before we both realise how much of a pain in the ass they are, anyway used a flat head to get them back on like danny said cant see the pics tho in this thread.

almost as much of a pain as tryin to get the rear towing eye cover back into place, worst design ever,whichever spanish fella/women designed it need 2 be shot

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
I couldn't get my driver side front one on a couple of weeks back.....it's now decorating the shelf in the shed!

lofer

Atlantis to Interzone
Apr 11, 2007
Holbeach
The trick to getting them back on is to hold the skirt down as it moves up when you try to clip them back in. ;)

CHRIS200