JB4 OBD routing on RHD Cupra

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Has anyone got any pics of where and how to route the OBD cable for the JB4 on a RHD Cupra? Is the passenger footwell the best option or is there somewhere in the drivers side footwell?

Thanks for any help.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
There’s a black grommet behind the carpet on the drivers side (where you’d imagine the clutch pedal to be) - you can pop that out and it’s straight through into the engine then. I’ll see if I have any pics.

i pierced a hole in the grommet, fed the cable through and then put the grommet back in place.

Reactions: Kirky

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Ok I have no pics :(

but if you peel back the carpet from where the clutch pedal would be (or is if you have a manual), you’ll see a round edge black rubber grommet - about 2 inches in size. It literally pulls out and provides a route directly into the engine.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Ok I have no pics :(

but if you peel back the carpet from where the clutch pedal would be (or is if you have a manual), you’ll see a round edge black rubber grommet - about 2 inches in size. It literally pulls out and provides a route directly into the engine.
Is this behind the foam behind the carpet? I pulled back the carpet and I have a layer of thickish foam behind it. I didn't want to start tearing this out just in case. I'll try find this grommet as couldn't find anything earlier.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Is this behind the foam behind the carpet? I pulled back the carpet and I have a layer of thickish foam behind it. I didn't want to start tearing this out just in case. I'll try find this grommet as couldn't find anything earlier.
Yeah it should be behind that

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Cheers for the help, I found it. It's behind a foam cutout that just pulls out off two metal spigots.

Was it easy to locate the cable in the engine bay side? I assume it comes out somewhere below the left side of the turbo as you face the car? I'm not fitting the JB4 until the end of the month but just want to have a plan ready so the job goes quickly and smoothly.

Turns out I can reach the connector towards the bottom of the engine bay, so looks like I don't need to remove the under tray to get access from underneath for that one.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
There’s a silver fabric heat shield in the engine bay which is held on with poppers - that unpops and you’ll see the grommet access behind it.

I ran the cable through that and along the cable tied along the top above the turbo, and stored the Jb4 between the intake and the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The bottom connector is a right PITA. But if you can reach and disconnect then even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
There are a few installation videos on Cupras, Golf Rs, S3s online which show the different fitments on either side of the engine - there was an S3 owner that had created a bracket that fitted to the air box mounts (after fitment of non-OEM induction setup).

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
There are a few installation videos on Cupras, Golf Rs, S3s online which show the different fitments on either side of the engine - there was an S3 owner that had created a bracket that fitted to the air box mounts (after fitment of non-OEM induction setup).
I've only found videos where the ODB is already fitted and they just point out it's location or its demonstrated but on a LHD car. I've been unsuccessful in finding a video that shows the grommet and where it enters the engine bay etc.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019

About 40 seconds in for engine bay through heat shield and then internals later.
I've seen this video and I didn't find that video very useful as everything is already fitted with panels and grommets refitted etc. I may have crap eyes but I cannot see where that OBD cable goes in that video when he points the camera behind the turbo.
I didn't realise you could just pull the heat shield off until Paddy said a few posts ago.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I appreciate the help guys. I'd normally just crack on and rip stuff out and hope for the best but I'm a bit overly protective of this car for some reason.

zzakzz17

Feb 8, 2017
Ive seen its safer to wire through the rubber on the left hand side below glovebox as its cooler on that side. Anyone done this? Also how easy would it be to get the obd wire behind the centre console to below the glovebox?

Sep 7, 2021
Hi All, Just joined up to this group as was searching the world wide web for this exact same scenario.

I'm RHD also and I want to just ask for those who installed the obd cable in through the drivers side footwell have you had any issues with melting the cable? Either on the firewall heatshield it self or the downpipe/turbo. I much prefer this way.

cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.