Jump start a/from PHEV

verde

Nov 6, 2021
Has anyone tried to jump start a PHEV or from a PHEV Leon?

My mate's car battery just died on him and I offered to help, forgetting that I no longer have my old car nor have an idea where the 12V battery is on the Leon, lol.

I've read a bit on various other forums, but opinions seem to be somewhat contradictory and all of them around the Outlander PHEV.

All the best

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
My 17 plate Outlander PHEV had to be started by the AA when it wouldn't engage drive sitting outside my house - basically it wouldn't do anything despite having petrol in tank and fully charged high voltage hybrid battery pack..

Took AA man ages to start it. Seems 12V auxiliary battery (i.e.what starts it..) was low on volts despite 200 miles drive the day previous.

He said to be VERY careful trying to jump start a PHEV as electronics very sensitive, even though he did manage in the end, took him best part of 40 mins and he then insisted to follow me driving to Mitsubishi dealer and not switch off until on the dealers premises as he doubted he could restart it.

I have since trickle charged the auxiliary battery (an AGM type) with a smart charger and no further issues.

Mitsubishi couldn't find a fault but suspected low volts in 12v aux battery.., but battery condition fine.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
We had this problem in the showroom with hybrids, low battery power, started disconnecting batteries so open doors etc would not flatten them, all cars were trickle charged with a decent charger when first on site, kept them in good nick, problem as referred to was, “where’s the bloody battery?”

Reactions: Torque69

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
We had this problem in the showroom with hybrids, low battery power, started disconnecting batteries so open doors etc would not flatten them, all cars were trickle charged with a decent charger when first on site, kept them in good nick, problem as referred to was, “where’s the bloody battery?”
AA man asked me that on lifting the bonnet!!! Which battery was my reply 😉