Just for fun - modify my 16v

Devoncupra

If money was no object (and it was a project car) what modifications could I do to my Cupra 16v to enhance appearance and improve performance keeping the ABF engine in it? :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cut the chassis legs and fit an audi 5 cyl turbo the one that the ABF is based on and see if anyone notices

Devoncupra

cut the chassis legs and fit an audi 5 cyl turbo the one that the ABF is based on and see if anyone notices

Good answer, anyone else who doesn't want to replace the engine though?!?!?? I just want to see what people would do with the standard car without changing the engine :)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
what is your budget? is the car going to be a daily driver? want to keep the engine atmospheric, or forced induction?

Devoncupra

=RobT;2698321]what is your budget? is the car going to be a daily driver? want to keep the engine atmospheric, or forced induction?

My budget is fictional and if it was reality yes it would be a daily dirver although not many miles would be covered, normally aspirated or turbo'd just peoples idea of what they would do :)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Your budget limits what you can do - 300hp 9000rpm valver that will last about 500 miles if your budget will stretch to it

Alternatively, a 600hp 2.2L turbo motor is possible with the ABF - gonna cost big £ though

Devoncupra

Your budget limits what you can do - 300hp 9000rpm valver that will last about 500 miles if your budget will stretch to it

Alternatively, a 600hp 2.2L turbo motor is possible with the ABF - gonna cost big £ though

Ok then a budget of £2000 what could be achieved?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Best mods on a 16V ibiza for £2K would be 25mm front, 28mm rear ARBs, 15mm rear wheel spacers, some bilstein yellow full ride height dampers with matching springs, new front top mount rubbers, audi TT bushes in the rear pivot of the front wishbones, 4 new R888 tyres on some 15x7 ET35 lighweight rims (team dynamics pro race 1's or some OZ superleggeras). New gearbox oil. Full engine sevice.

Any money left, some Ferodo DS2500 front pads and some pagid fast road rear pads. And a brake fluid change for Halfords top-spec fluid. And some stainless brake hoses for the front only.

Ess_Three

Good answer, anyone else who doesn't want to replace the engine though?!?!?? I just want to see what people would do with the standard car without changing the engine :)

Modify the airbox, re-map the ECU and leave the rest alone.
Fit a 3.94 FD into the standard 'box, Peloquin/Quaife diff and add a light fltywheel...it'll fee like it's got 40 BHP more!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.