Just wanna check is it the waterpump fans or what?

amos3

Just drove home and the car started beaping at me and the temp gauge was at silly figures. I initially thought i had lost all the coolant but it was still there. So i let the car cool down and plodded home. With the car just over 90 maybe closer to 100 on the temp gauge. Had a closer look at home i havent lost any coolant but it is still over heating.

Got a mechanic to have a look he said the fans are kicking in but he was wandering if it has two stages as there are three wires on the fan switch on the rad?

It is fine until you give it some welly and then the temperature claws up instantly.

Is it the water pump?

Someone please help....

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
wot model is it ?

if it helps - just been for a spin in mine sitting around 88-90

quit sprint up the motorway up to 100

settled down to 92 by time i pulled in home

have heard of 137 on track days :)

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
sounds like water pump to me as the fans are kicking in.
if the fans run when your air con is on then the low stage is fine if they go on and off every 30 secs or so then the low speed has gone ( only used to pull air over the aircon rad), also check the fuses on top of the battery as the high stage fuse is there, big metal one ( hot engine stage)

amos3

thanks for that, it is a leon 20vt cupra with revo stage 2. looks like i had better get that changed then

amos3

I sure its not the thermostat as the water is getting very hot and bubbling up when openning the header tank

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
amos3 said:
I sure its not the thermostat as the water is getting very hot and bubbling up when openning the header tank

Which means its not circulating properly.

Drive the car and then feel the bottom radiator hose if it is cool, then its the thermostat as its not opening to let water into the radiator and staying in the engine, causing it to overheat.

If the hose is hot, the thermostat is working, but perhaps the waterpump is not.

Try leaving the lid of the header tank and start the car. If you rev it and water shoots out of there, it will be the headgasket :(

Good Luck :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members