Key issues - help

ABV

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself as a new owner. Picked up my LCR 225 (MY05) last weekend and been quite impressed so far. Was running an S2 Elise 111s and Honda Civic 1.4 but due to change in job and uping my annual mileage to 25k ish decided that doing 22k in the Civic and 3k in the Elise was silly so wanted one car to replace them both. So far been quite impressed with the LCR - not as much as an event as caning the Lotus but far more relaxed and practical when needed.

Anyway on to the issue. I have managed to lose my spare (non-button) key and need a replacement. I have searched the forum but there are mixed posts about where I can get a spare cut and coded. Tried my local Timpson which has recently had their machine (that is meant to be able to copy 95% of these encoded keys) but they have said its dealer only. I have however read that people have done this without paying dealer prices so I'm after a little advice. I'm based in Lichfield/Birmingham so if anyone knows of anywhere local to me that may be able to help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
The spare key with no buttons on doesnt need to be coded its just a key only could probably get one cheap from dealers.

I would get a spare remote fob from ebay for around 25 quid and get that cut/coded instead. best to have 2 remotes as its expensive if you lose the only remote key for the car.

ABV

Didn't realise the spare wasn't coded but I'd prefer to get a remote one as replacement. From my understanding I can buy a blank one off eBay (making sure it's the correct frequency) and get that cut but how do I make it work with the car? Only thing I've read so far involves the two keys. Unless you're saying I need to get the cheap non-encoded key from the dealers as well?

the spare key is also coded

obv its not programmed to the door locks but it does have a chip in it which is programmed to the immobiliser, without the chip you just get a flashing immobilser symbol and no go.

when i needed a replacement key (with buttons) i got it off ebay and took it to the dealers to code/programme for me, cant remember the costs though it was when i first got the car about 2 years back.

as its just a replacement spare you need i would just talk to the dealers, the coding will cost but i wouldn't imagine the buttonless key itself being too expensive

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I'm in exactly the same boat. The missus managed to lose my spare "non remote" key [:@]

I enquired at my local seat dealer and they wanted £55 for the key and £65 for coding :( for a full remote key it was £185!

I've seen the ebay keys but I'm not sure who cuts them. I asked at my local timpsons and they said it was dealer only.

Anyway, at least I know what to buy the wife for her birthday.

If anyone knows a cheaper way to sort this I'll be keen to know.

its certainly the cheapest (only) way i know, but maybe somebody on here has figured a better way.

what I will say is that the dealers copy the code off the key that you have to put it on the new one (well as far as i know from mine in any case)

if you lose the key that you have before getting a replacement youl be looking at big bucks as i think it becomes a system reprogramme instead of just a key, thats my limited understanding on it anyway, so i wouldnt leave it too long/check it out just in case

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Nah we reprogram and program keys all the same, online to the factory.

You cant just program one key, they all need to be programmed at the same time.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.