key problem

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I noticed my big key fob with buttons used to immboizle the car and had to use the spare key, what would cause this and what would it take to get it working again.

Ibiza 09

they dont have a small battery in the key fob do they somewhere?

I have a Ibiza mk5 so i dont know what the key is like for the lean at all

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
There's a transponder in the key isn't there? You've not had the key open have you? I think you can switch the transponder from the spare in to the main if the main one packs in, though I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me :lol:

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
:D I've not disassembled mine, so I'm not 100% sure, but the ones for my bike were similar (though obviously we don't have to unlock the doors :D). Basically, the keys split in two. Inside of the one with the remote controls will be a battery and a transponder (which was passive on the bike, I'm sure it is on the Leon too). Inside the other will just be a transponder. It is this transponder that the immobiliser recognises and okays the engine to start.

We found on the bikes that if one of your keys break (ie snap/bend) and you don't want to pay for a full key, you can get a simple blank cut to match and just hold the transponder-key (the original) close to the ignition barrel and it will start. If the new key has space for a transponder, you just take it out of the original and put it in the new one.

In the case of these keys, assuming they work the same (and I can't guarantee it) you will be able to open both and swap the transponders so that the spare key is no use beyond opening the doors but the main remote-key would start the car again.

As I say, I can't be 100% sure, but I can't see any reason why it would be any different. It's a fairly standard system.

Does that all make sense? I'm tired and rambling :lol:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The keys as you know come in 2 parts:

Remote fob

Key blade

The fob is purely for remotely opening the doors and disabling the alarm where as the flip key blade part houses the transponder which disables the immobiliser. If one works but the other doesnt it is likely that the transponder is currupt or missing. You can open the flip key blade but you have to remove the seat badge and there's a screw under it and the transponder shoud be a little glass pellet or plastic chip (like an eeprom). It might just be that it needs re-coding, this can be done by the likes of a dealer or key-facts in duckenfield.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Well ive lost it all together now :mad: if i buy a 2nd hand one off ebay can it be coded so it will open the doors? You put the ignition on with one key dont you then press the buttons, all i have now is a spare key :|

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I bought a spare key off ebay. it was from a mk 4 golf costed £26 and it worked. The electric part can be coded as many times as you like but the glass transponder only once. I also bought at the same time a new glass transponder and fitted that. Took it to dealers and they programmed it for 45 quid!!

You can programme the electric part yourself to open the doors but not the transponder only the dealers can do that.

Hope this helps you mate

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yeah but there is ways of getting it with vag tacho and vw tool ( i think) vag com is used when you have the code.
Early cars came with the code ofrom the dealer on a scratch of bit on the key ring.

Yeah sig is appropriate of late :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members