Knocking When Turning

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
I've question for you. Have you heard of a problem when pulling away at junctions or manoeuvring round a car park a knock coming from the drivers side. It's not the ARB bushes or drop links as they have been replaced. I took it to my Seat dealer in Kempston who can't narrow the fault down although he admits it's there. He thought it may be a steering rack and the knock is because its under load and its hitting the end of the lock. He can also reproduce this on the lift but is reluctant to replace the rack.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
It could well be your top suspension mounts; I had mine changed under warranty because they started knocking, usually when manouevring (like the car parking you mention).

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
I wouldnt rule out the ARB, as I had mine changed, which included the ARB,bushes and drop links. A recent sservice highlighted play in the ARB bushes after 7K.

hoggy

Turn the steering all the way to the right, take a look at where the stability bar almosts touchs the stearing arm.
You will see a mark on the stearing arm.
Thats the source off the noise.
Mine Ibiza is lowered wuth Koni sport but a friend of mine has one with original suspension and the problem is the same.

Be cool

hoggy

Not shure...
I´m talking with some guys in www.ibizaclubpt.com and some say that theu glued a rubber on the stearing arm...
Not a elegant solution but it seams to work.
Mine is still the same. My friend says that he´s going to take is car to seat and make a reclamation ( Still on waranty) if they repair his car i´ll make the same. :)
meantime... i´ll stick to the rubber :)

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
Hi,

I had a look this morning and you may be right. Looked like there was an abrasion. I'll post a picture later today for you to have a look at. Do you have a link to the post on ibizaclubpt.

Cheers...

hoggy

steveoelliott said:
Hi,

I had a look this morning and you may be right. Looked like there was an abrasion. I'll post a picture later today for you to have a look at. Do you have a link to the post on ibizaclubpt.

Cheers...

Sorry but there isn´t any post about it.
On thursdays we get together in a bar, and we started to talk about it.
It shoudn´t be hard to glue a rubber there.
But i´ll ask if ther´s pictures of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
Does this look like what you mean...

Drivers_Side.JPG

Passenger_Side.JPG

hoggy

yup

Yup that´s it!!!!
Must be an error on building the car...
I don´t see much more to do then to put a rubber there...

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
You can't see it on the bottom picture but on the top one you can. The bar has a black circle on it where the rest of it is dirty.

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
I've just tried wrapping a bit of hosepipe round the steering arm. The knock is still there so I guess that is not the problem.

Will carry on looking...

hoggy

It may not be the same problem...:think:
Did you put the hose in both arm´s?
Notice that it toutch in 2 places per arm one is harder them the second.
As soon as i can i´ll try that solution and see the results.

steveoelliott

Oct 11, 2005
I covered both of those areas with a ling strip of hose. I have to say the knock/bang i get sounds a bit more substantial than that though.

Cheers...

hoggy

steveoelliott said:
I covered both of those areas with a ling strip of hose. I have to say the knock/bang i get sounds a bit more substantial than that though.

Cheers...

didn´t get that right...
The noise increased after you put that?
The sound that I get is a tremble.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.