Koni Shocks + E SportLines?

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Hiya recently changed my Leon for another Leon:-

First thing I picked to do was lowering, at the moment it has 40ish K on the clock with sport suspensions (sport pack/ sport model you get the idea*). My previous leon had prokit springs they were alright but not low enough for my liking so now I got a box of sportline springs at home ready to be fitted tomorrow! wanting to know should I fit them straight away with the shocks that came with the car or add Koni's on them but with Koni's ALL I EVER see is Koni FSD's with PROKIT and not the SPORTLINES has anyone used this combination yet? if it will kill my shocks within a couple thousand miles I rather not fit them but I don't drive that fast Im more progressive....But at the moment I am driving quite alot.

Thanks

simple question:-
06 2L TFSi Sport Model Leon > Standard Sport Dampers and Eibach Sportline kit? will this be alright? there is 40K on the clock.

:think: I have searched around on the forum but nothing gives off a direct answer. cheers

I bought a set of Eibach Pro springs for my 05 Altea (40k on clock). when I got them fitted my front shocks started to fail near straight away. put a new set of dampers (the original Seat "Sport" ones) back with original springs, the noise went away. found out that when the shock was on extension there was about an inch of free play.

I ended up getting Eibach Pro Dampers with my Eibach Pro springs as it was making sense. I guess if you car is fairly new then just using existing dampers with lowered springs will work, but old damper may fail. they did in my case.

noktoto

Mar 10, 2008
Poland
I bought a set of Eibach Pro springs for my 05 Altea (40k on clock). when I got them fitted my front shocks started to fail near straight away. put a new set of dampers (the original Seat "Sport" ones) back with original springs, the noise went away. found out that when the shock was on extension there was about an inch of free play.

I ended up getting Eibach Pro Dampers with my Eibach Pro springs as it was making sense. I guess if you car is fairly new then just using existing dampers with lowered springs will work, but old damper may fail. they did in my case.

How do Pro Dampers compare to SEAT shocks (both paired with Eibach Pro springs) in terms of ride and handling?

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
so should i fit the springs (sportlines) on the standard shocks or wait, i was on standards before they were fine but these springs drop more 50mm - not sure which shocks would match them too...

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
It would be best to change the dampers at the same time as it'll give you a better handling car and also reduce labour costs but a lot of people still run the Eibach Sportline's with standarda dampers and have no problems.

Damian @ DPM Performance

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
thank you Damian, I never had problems before with the prokit as they weren't as lower as the sportlines but after buying the springs i thought....crap what about dampers all i see is prokits with fsd's but nothing mentioned about sportlines and what dampers but i have a planned out - because of funds i'll fit the springs for the time being and next month i'll be asking for you for the pro kit dampers i think thats a sound plan :)

noktoto, I found the the Eibach dampers were much more responsive and tightened the geometry. Spring though at 30mm drop were in fact more like 30 front/45 rear.

dave.c this is a hard one really. if you have the money you wont regret putting FSDs or any other vendors dampers on with Eibach springs. I found the standard dampers were not that good in damping the stronger spring in certain conditions. the FSDs and Eibach Pro Dampers are made to work with the shorter spring. it is recommended if you drop more than 30-40mm on a spring to get aftermarket dampers.

however that said many on this site do just got for springs only.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Springs now fitted...for people worrying about speed bumps your find the sportline springs will clear them at EASE! the drive is alot of better very smooth compared to the pro kits its a big difference for me I wish i picked them for the first set but now I know which one I would go for. Next stage Eibach pro dampers at the end of the month.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
the drive is alot of better very smooth compared to the pro kits its a big difference for me I wish i picked them for the first set but now I know which one I would go for.

So, would you say that the sportlines are a better ride than the pro-kit?

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009

So can I get this straight? You don't yet have the fsds but you have put the sportlines on and they have improved ride considerably. That would be interesting for many on here who complain about harsh ride and looking for a solution that isn't too expensive. Normally the suggested route is to go for both fsds and new springs costing considerably more. Maybe if just the springs, sportlines as opposed to pro-kit, are enough of an improvement then that would be a good option for many.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
yes and no...if you have the cash always go for the combo dampers and springs. the reason is uprated springs low as sportline would kill your shocks pretty quickly i should of waited but i will be upgraded as soon as i get the cash but yea the ride is how the car should be and appearance is alot better too. im going for prokit dampers. at the end of the day most ppl who brought sportlines with standard not had any trouble even speedramps no problems either well money spent for me

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I've only got 15,000 miles on the clock on my 07 FR. I'm hoping I've got enough life left in my shocks. I was instinctively looking at the pro-kit ones as I was a bit concerned about lowering the car too much. Now, I'm considering the sportlines based on what you said about the ride.

just fitted the sportslines to my cupra (thanks Damian) and I agree they do give a nice drop, the ride is firmer but a little more controlled but the biggest change for me seems to be the over sensitive brake pedal seems to have gone, the front end no longer seems to dip under braking. I'm running standard shocks but will change them in the future.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
:( bad news today for me driving home today 70-80 on the motorway and my esp light came on and stayed on not sure if its due the springs lowering or dampers or is just randomly that happened dealers closed too so i have to call in the morning lucky its covered for a year's warranty don't think the springs would of caused it tho? Im guessing its a faulty abs sensor (common issue?) car drives fine but i don't have traction control no more this has happened for only 2 hours but light has stayed on i have jet blasted the wheels clean...even d/c batter heh but nought nothing so I guess i have to wait and see what SEAT have to say. I am right that LOWERING springs would not cause this?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.