LC run on dyno dynamics rolling road session...

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Got a bit of a surprise yesterday when I turned up at a customers premises to find he owns his own garage with a dyno dynamics rolling road... so cheekily I asked how much to run the Cupra on it... free he said ... :funk:

So the Cupra was bolted up to the rolling road and given a run... not too great either it seems with a flat spot around 3500rpm which is felt on the road.

225lbft of torque isnt to be sniffed at mind ...

Turns out my customer does custom mapping for various companies so he has booked me in next Friday to have the map looked at as he reckons its running rich :)

Dyno chart for anyone interested... see the flat spot...

dyno.jpg

Poor quality I know but last run taken with phone camera... best run was 186bhp and 225lbft torque...

Once the fuelling is sorted we should be looking at around 210bhp / 225lbft...

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
186 on stage 1.... something not right ther mate??

LOL obviously which is why its booked in for tommorrow :p

The torque is there for a stage one map but it drops off too quickly at 4000rpm hence the dip and is why its affected the bhp at top end.

Anyone reckon a standard TIP can cause the issue on a stage one LC?

Not too concerned as will be sorted tommorrow but any advice would be appreciated.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Ok... we will check that tommorrow on the dyno.

I've got my VAGCOM working on Windows 7 so will run a load of logging on the 4th gear runs at same time :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
LOL obviously which is why its booked in for tommorrow :p

The torque is there for a stage one map but it drops off too quickly at 4000rpm hence the dip and is why its affected the bhp at top end.

Anyone reckon a standard TIP can cause the issue on a stage one LC?

Not too concerned as will be sorted tommorrow but any advice would be appreciated.

very unlikely a TIP on a LC (not LCR) is cause an issue unless its hanging off or split.
if they are able to log airflow during the run that would confirm what the maf sensor is reading, and probably under reading.. logging afr's as well as the dyno logging afr will also show if there is a discrepancy. logging boost also both on dyno and car.
should be able to find any issues then

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Why pay for another map when there could be a problem either with the current map or the hard wear. Until you get to the bottom of the problem then there is no point paying for a new map.
As above boost leaks, MAF, plugs, fuel filter etc etc all need to be checked and discounted before further mapping and RR sessions

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
the tip on lc's connects to a cast elbow entering the turbo, LCR's suffer collapsing TIPs not LC,

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Updated...

All sorted... as I suspected the Map wasnt too hot ... fuelling was all over the place so we decided to revert it to standard and then run it on the dyno.

Result = 169bhp / 174lbft torque... hmmm the bhp figure a bit low.. so ran it again and notice the MAF only logging 150gs. Everything else was fine so whilst they uploaded the new map I went to VW and got a new MAF...

Run it again after the new MAF and map and got 205bhp / 255lbft torque :D

That will do ... out the road its transformed and very quick.

One thing we notice was how the EGT's went up rapidly on the RR after the first run which affected power... the Cupra lacks sufficient cooling for the SMIC especially on the early Cupra so we spent a while drilling some holes :whistle:

Very pleased :clap:

Will post up graphs in a bit.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.