LCR Drivers Seat Excessive Wear

zebangler

BigE LCR225
Feb 25, 2007
Preston
As the title says my drivers R/H lower support on the seat (bit against your right thigh) is wearing what i believe to be excessively :cry:.The car is an 06 plate LCR with 31k on the clock.

I have emailed seat and received the following response:

Sorry for the delay in replying, this is due to the very high numbers of enquiries we are receiving at the moment.

Seat wear is strictly wear and tear policy and will only be covered under manufactures warranty for the first 6 months of the
vehicles life, or 6,000 miles whichever come soonest. I am sure you will agree your vehicle has gone far outside these
parameters, so is now the responsibility of the owner.

Now i appreciate things wear away thats normal, but 31k miles and the foam is shot and i can feel the bar underneath i personally think is unacceptable especially when there wanting to sell me the new LCR! But to say the seat is only fit for 6k miles is just stupid now matter how frequent the car is used i had a 60k mile metro with better quality seats than my LCR.

Anyway rant over, my question is has anyone else had this problem ive used the search function and noticed a couple of posts mentioning similar things but id like to get a show of hands all in one thread as i intend to moan at Seat a bit longer at there quality control especially if lots of people have the same issue.

If you have had similar could you mention model, age and mileage please.

Cheers guys.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
distance covered wont really have much of an issue with seat wear if im honest mate,

my lc on an 03 plate has just hit 52k and the seats like new, the drivers side bolster takes a pounding on any car,

reps cars, as an example 150k-200k and the seats usually look fantastic,

sports/sunday drivers cars tend to be more worn even with less miles, purely down to short distance runs,

over the distance of 100 miles for one car, it could mean sliding across the seat 20 times for a sunday driver to the shops and back, or 2 times for a repmobile,

height, weight and how people enter a car will all be key factors, worst being people who spin 90 degrees to sit on the bolster for a fag,

dont blame you with trying but its already a 4 year old car, you're going to stuggle to be honest,

keep your eyes open on ebay for a rogue seat

i had a 52 plate fiat stilo in 2006 which had onld done 19k but the drivers seat was wrecked, steering wheel wear and pedal wear was nothing which proved it wasnt clocked either

Last edited:

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
YES matey!!!! my LCR is a 2004 with 45k miles on it and my seat has gone where yours has the bar is very uncomfortable on a long journey. Even the passenger side front is starting to go.

I never bothered contacting seat about it as i knew i would get the response you got. i will be changing the seat foam in the summer on both of the seats as i cant last much longer with them.

It even looks horrible!! i would change them soon mate before you rub through the cloth and ruin the seat completely!!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I'v got what feel's like a hole in the foam bolster on the pasenger seat,
I'v got a cover on my seat to limit wear as much as poss.

zebangler

BigE LCR225
Feb 25, 2007
Preston
Steely - I agree mate build and the way you get in the car makes a difference im 6ft2 and about 12st so don't think its excessive weight and im careful not to sit on the side bolster mainly because ive seen what it does to leather seats.
With regards to the mileage sunday driver/rep yes it will differ but Seat have basically turned around and said the seats fit for 6k after that its game over im sure if everyones seat did wear out at 6k there would be out cry. Still cant see that 30k has done so much damage 24k have been with me.
As you say though your Fiat did a similar thing with even less milage so it does affect some cars well before it really should in my opinion.

godber225r - id say yours is very low milage as well for a seat being knackered, i kind of knew that Seat wouldn't be interested its more the principle of it. Apparently a company near me does seat repairs so might get a price to have it fixed they can also replace patches etc, hopefully not going to be to expensive.

D.K. - Its a shame isn;t it 20k car and you have use a seat cover to prevent damage that shouldn't happen.

Ill see who else responds just interested to see how many others its happened to incase it was a common fault id say if 1 in 10 have this issue then its pretty serious.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
mines a 53plate cupra tdi , noticable since about 55K (now on 74k ) and both seats have had it
i too am going to look into getting sorted

i have heard that you can buy the replacement parts from the stealers as the golfs suffered too

i think its replacement foam sections etc

other than that im going to ring an upholsterer / retrimmer and see how much £££

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
I'v got what feel's like a hole in the foam bolster on the pasenger seat,
I'v got a cover on my seat to limit wear as much as poss.

I had really bad wear on the bolster of my last peugeot, promised myself i would get a cover for the LCR to stop it happening,

D.K, what cover have you got? I have heard people having issues with the big bolster and covers not fitting very well/ being over stretched?

zebangler

BigE LCR225
Feb 25, 2007
Preston
Andrewcupra TDi - Interesting that you can buy replacement parts and the golf suffers the same problem, certainly sounds like its relatively common thing.

vwbassett - No im the 2nd owner car had 6k on when i got it seats where great when i bought it, so yes its worn badly whilst ive had it, think for my next car ill get a cover straight away and assume that car seats arn't actually for sitting on.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I had really bad wear on the bolster of my last peugeot, promised myself i would get a cover for the LCR to stop it happening,

D.K, what cover have you got? I have heard people having issues with the big bolster and covers not fitting very well/ being over stretched?

Mines a universal fit one made by Snap-on, it does'nt fit that well, you can tuck it in by the hinge's and it still put for a few days

Mikey P

The Flying Custard
Mar 4, 2009
Manchester
i have a snap-on one on mine but its on the passenger seat at the mo due to the mrs being ready to drop, dont want the seat getting stained on the way to the hosiptal now do we! lol
sorry for going a bit off topic

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
i have a snap-on one on mine but its on the passenger seat at the mo due to the mrs being ready to drop, dont want the seat getting stained on the way to the hosiptal now do we! lol
sorry for going a bit off topic

:lol: Are they water proof :whistle:

Mikey P

The Flying Custard
Mar 4, 2009
Manchester
i dont have any pics but if you look on ebay you will find some,i have the black one with red writing so looks fairly OE

Gravesie-363

LCR 225
Aug 4, 2009
Darlington
I find the seats in my LCR get really dirty, really easy and always look old and shabby, need to try giving them a good shampoo and maybe a bit of protection, see if i can solve it :)

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
ive seen a few on ebay black with the seat logo on it in white or red look good but cant comment on quality etc

mite just take the plunge , or mite just get a snap on or similar trade one , surely these will be heavy duty / more robust against wear and tear

i did have the halfords h/d ones which say something like sport on them with the coloured headrest strip , these have lasted my over 10 years through various cars , but my old cars were 3drs and folding seats back and fore 4 passengers in and out kind have ruined them now , but i suppose theyve had their moneys worth , £20 each tho

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_183779_langId_-1_categoryId_165658

Action Sport front car seat protector is our ultimate car seat protector. Made from durable 100% waterproof nylon fabric with double overlock stitching for extra strength. Action sport protectors fit and remove in seconds, ready for use any time - for sporting activities, outdoor pursuits, dog owners, tradesmen etc.

Action sport protects your seat from dirt, oil, paint, water, dust, animal hairs etc. The protector folds into it's own headrest flap for easy storage.

features and benefits
Waterproof, thick and durable nylon fabric
Universal "all in one" shape for complete protection
Side airbag compatible
Elasticated surround for optimum fit
Double layer headrest with embroided logo
Colour: Black/Red

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise