LCR dump valves?!?

sudden-impact

I just bought my new leon cupra 225 and i was looking at some dump valves.
i spoke to a mate about this and he was saying the vag engines dont do well with dump valves it can mess up the idilin and eventually kill your engine he then also said your best bet is to go wiv the cone filter for the waste gate chatter.

How true is this? can anyone shed some light on this please?:help:

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
Valves that blow off externally (the noisy ones) can cause engine problems but the recirculating ones are fine..

If your after the noise then the best bet is probably the Forge Split R which will whoosh but also recirculate enough so that your engine doesnt have issues.. Otherwise the 007P is fantastic.. Thats what i have on mine and coupled with a nice air filter or induction kit it should make a reasonable dumping noise.

Hope that helps a little :)

sudden-impact

cheers pal much appreciated
as ive only just bought my car i hav no idea hahahaha :D:D

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi
The 007P will give more noise if you put it updaide down too ;)
But dont tell anyone :cartman:
Yes couple that with a nice induction kit :thumbup: your there
Sarah

andycupra

status subject to change
ok it may not be 100% correct but this is my laymans explanation: (and you need to read rob dons post following this too)

there are two types of valve.
'dump valves' are where the air is dumped to atmoshpere. Or can be called atmospheric dump valves.
'diverter valves' is really what the LCR has. It does not dump the air to atmosphere, but diverts it back into the inlet. The term 'dump valve' is widely used caused some confusion.

The 1.8T engine uses a maf (air flow sensor) in the inlet immediately after the air filter to measure the air entering the engine. The ecu (electronic control unit, or the engines 'brain') uses this reading and then calculates the correct fuel air /ratio.

If you dump air to atmosphere when the ecu is set up on the basis this air will remain in the system the reading from the maf will be higher than the ecu expects. This is because more air is drawn in the inlet than with a diverter valave in order to replace the air you have 'dumped'.
If the quantity of air is significant and breaches set limits in the ecu programme then it may log a fault or alternatively the ecu may adapt to new maf parameters. This may mean the maf reading is now interpreted by the ecu to be lower than it actually is which can lead to a lean fuel mixture. Not good.

I believe the forge split R valve trys to get around this by only allowing a proportion of the air to be dumped within the ecu allowance and therefore not lead to fault codes or incorrect adaptation.

In my opinion, i would get the forge 007p valve and with the money saved compared to the splitR get yourself an induction kit.
The indiction kit makes the most significant difference to DV sound in my experience.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Not quite, the system also has a MAP sensor which measures pressure too. Also, venting to atmosphere can result in rich running, not lean, as too much fuel is dumped into the engine as measured air is missing.

Having said that, the problems are nowhere near as bad as people make out, running a BOV will not destroy your engine, nor is the rich running excessive, it's only for a split second when you change gear.

BUT ... the system is designed to recirculate so it should stay that way.

sudden-impact

So the forge 007p valve seems the best way to go.
How much will that set me back? and ive had a little brief look 4 one and i havent found one in england yet lol any ideas where i can pick one up from to??