LCR Engine Undertray Dropped

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Guys,

Yesterday as I was leaving for work I heard this awful scraping noise. I pulled over immediately and took a look under the car, and the floor, undertray, whatever you call it, under the engine, has dropped and was scraping on the road. I tucked it back up, intending to look at it when I got to work, but it didn't make it that far. I've had to push it back in three times so far.

This morning I had to go with the wife to take her car for a service and MOT and bring her back, and on the way I went over a speed bump. I could hear it scraping as I went over. I've got home and had a look and it appears to have become unclipped on the front and the back. I'm going to see if I can reseat the clips at the back as the front seems secure at the mo after I reseated them, but I didn't know if there's something I need to do specifically. I tried to search the forum for tips but since I don't know what the panel is even actually called it's been awkward knowing what to search for :shrug:

I need to get the car jacked up and I'm weary of it, on account of the fact that the jack point covers seem tight to get off and I'm worried about breaking something, but it needs to be done else I'll be stopping every 10 miles or so to put the cover back on.

Any tips?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
EVentually it will fall off and they're about 60 quid IIRC so it's worth fixing. It should be held in with about 12 screws and these locate into metal holders in the other parts of the tray that are fixed to the car.

3 more screws at the front, there is NO push fit as far as i am aware. If you find a good high kerb and park half the car on the pavement and half on the road ... i reckon you'd have enough space to get underneath - just make sure it's not a busy main road :)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
alot of people including me dont have one on, it ripped off so i left it off, that was a year ago with no trouble, makes servicing and modding easier without it on.... 60 quid is robbery for a plastic piece of cack anywya

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Someone did suggest taking it off, but with it having the covers at the side attached to it as well I didn't know if it was a bad idea. Might just take it off for now then, if it comes off easy enough

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Someone did suggest taking it off, but with it having the covers at the side attached to it as well I didn't know if it was a bad idea. Might just take it off for now then, if it comes off easy enough

If you dont fix it back properly, it WILL remove itself and by that time it will be unuseable so if you're going to fix it properly later, take it off now :) However to get under there to undo any screws that are left, it would be as easy to refix it back into place :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Managed to get it jacked up and I've taken it off. Unfortunately the passenger side has lost the other thingymabob cover, the one that separates the wheel arch from the engine bay. The same side has come off the wifes 1.4. The driver side has stayed in place, but I don't have the necessary fastenings to put the passenger side one back in place. In all I had to remove only four screws; one in the front and three on the driver side thingymabob cover, and the panel just fell to the floor. Must remember to get it looked at properly at the weekend and see if I can put it back.

I must say that the choice of screws used to hold it in place does seem somewhat "woodworkish"

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Managed to get it jacked up and I've taken it off. Unfortunately the passenger side has lost the other thingymabob cover, the one that separates the wheel arch from the engine bay. The same side has come off the wifes 1.4. The driver side has stayed in place, but I don't have the necessary fastenings to put the passenger side one back in place. In all I had to remove only four screws; one in the front and three on the driver side thingymabob cover, and the panel just fell to the floor. Must remember to get it looked at properly at the weekend and see if I can put it back.

I must say that the choice of screws used to hold it in place does seem somewhat "woodworkish"

you mean elcheapo self tappers :D Yeah ... it is a bit heathrobinson ....... the clips that hold the side panels to the car are cheap enough too :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
There is still one on the wife's Leon and it looks like a large, threaded washer (if that makes sense?) and I've never seen anything like it before. I need to get a couple of those, or just take the whole assembly to someone who knows what they're doing and let them fit it :lol

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
There is still one on the wife's Leon and it looks like a large, threaded washer (if that makes sense?) and I've never seen anything like it before. I need to get a couple of those, or just take the whole assembly to someone who knows what they're doing and let them fit it :lol

That's exactly what it is - pretty sure if you put a post up in the seremotors section you'll get a price on them.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.