LCR ESP Problem

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
hope someone can help with this, bear with me as its hard to explain whats happening,

if i go round a right hand bend my esp light flashes and the near side front wheel feels like its braking or something? the power cuts out like when you try to wheel spin and the esp is still switched on. this has happend over the past 3 days and its getting worse, im not driving hard or fast when this happens.. well first time i was doing 80 ish round a sweeping bend and as i was coming out of it it came on twice with a split second gap inbetween, this is a 100 mph bend easy, second time was at 30 mph round a bend now its doing it round any tightish right hand bend, esp light always flashes when it happens and it sounds wierd like the niose you get when locking up on ice with abs on, anyone got any ideas as i dont want the missus driving it untill its sorted
thanks

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
blimey give people a change, bumping a thread 1 hour 12mins later! Coronation street is on!!!!!

Your misses probably wont be taking bends at 100mph so I wouldnt worry too much!

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
theres like a small disk brake behind the brake disk, like a bike disk, this could be bent or be caked in shite, id just change the sensors first and go from there.

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Riddick this happening to me as well, m0rk and I did a steering position recentre which has made it better but still is there. never thought about the abs sensor.

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Think there's a sensor on the steering wheel for the ESP that measures the angle of the steering wheel and along with the ABS sensors works out if the ESP is needed or not, could be this that's on its way out

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
As I said m0rk and I tried this and it's still there slightly, but we did get a flashing warning light on the dash while vag-com was plugged in, but no fault code. :confused:

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
hows the tread depth on your tyres....mine always overreacts when the fronts are worn but the rear tyres are almost new....slightest bend and it cuts in. Was really bad when i ran toyo's on the back and still the original pzero's on the front...every bend would cause it to kick in regardless of speed!

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
well funny you should say that cos first time i noticed it i just had brand new eagle f1s fitted to the back but the fronts have only done about 2000 miles so there is plenty of tread left on them, it just seems strange that its always on a right hand bend.......?

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Mine are new all round but they're only cheapo's, only got it very occasionally happen on the old pirelli's, and that was only when I was on a tight roundabout. perhap it's an allergic reaction to legal tyres. :lol:

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
lol i dont think its the tyres if it was on left and right hand bends i would think maybe, ill try replacing the sensor, one thing i havent tried is if it does it with the esp turned off.... would abs still work?

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
It doesn't no matter how hard I try, I assumed that if the ESP kicks in that when it's off I would get bad lift off oversteeer, but I don't. Let me know how you get on after trying the new sensor. :)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Have you tried taking it into the dealer? ABS sensor sounds expensive (unless its the same as golf gti then its £25.41!)
Has the car hit a curb or anything on the front left? Could have knocked something out or loosened a wire?