lcr exhaust gas temp sensor bank 1

ashleyp

I bought a 2002 cupra r last week. Since owning it its been terrible on fuel and the power seems to die when im driving hard through the gears and some times splutter. Ive done diagnostics on it and its came up with p1453 exhaust gas temp sensor bank 1. Does any one no where this is located? I went to my local seat dealer today and they did not know. They wanted £165 for a replacement does any one know any where that sells them cheaper?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
There is a box under the inlet and has a probe on a wire which goes into the exhaust side of the turbo, might be tricky to get it out of the turbo as its gona be welded in there with rust, but no idea what they cost or who stocks them.

ashleyp

I think i seen that earlier. Wires come off the probe then go in a connecter box near the brake resevoir. I thought that was a lambor sensor?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
It is.. LOL

No its not on the down pipe its in the turbo and has a silver braided line that goes above gearbox on the head and then under the inlet to a black box.

SP_A0684.jpg

Right look where the actuator is, middle of the turbo you can see a long metal probe coming off into a silver wire goinng to front of the engine, thats the sensor.

Last edited:

ashleyp

haha im not mechanically minded mate. think im going to have to get some one else to do it.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
It would be hard to gain acsess to without a ramp, its possible but with little knowledge and no perciverance working on cars then i should imagine its quite hard, i made a special spanner to remove mine lol cut a line out of a off set ring spanner :)

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Changed mine recently, i phoned around a lot of places for it and cheapest was the dealers funnily enough, £165 sounds about right. I have a pit in my garage so access wasn't an issue. If recall i took of a guard that goes over the half shaft to get better access.

Andy got a close up photo, will see if i can but it on.

Andy

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Changed mine recently, i phoned around a lot of places for it and cheapest was the dealers funnily enough, £165 sounds about right. I have a pit in my garage so access wasn't an issue. If recall i took of a guard that goes over the half shaft to get better access.

Andy got a close up photo, will see if i can but it on.

Andy

Heat sheild for inner CV joint, 2 X 16mm bolts and it falls off lol. Its not that hard if you can get up the back of the engine, could do my trick when i needed to get up the back, which is take the lower strut brace off and literallyl get my head and an arm up the back and stuggle lol, its if you got the patience to get it off.

ashleyp

just done diagnostic again and its coming up cooling temp sensor and the fan keeps kicking in when its still cold. could this be causing the exhasut gas temp sensor code?

ashleyp

its drinking fuel like i drink beer. im getting about 55 to 60 miles to £20? lol im not impressed!

Nutta121

Sep 23, 2012
Hampshire
Don't mean to bring up an old thread but I've just got this code come up a couple of times after wiping it and its back on again, my lcr is still under extended Warrenty so would you recon it's best for me to pay the £50 diagnostics fee and get the Warrenty to pay or is it a simple job I could source and fix my self, I am mechanicaly minded so I know my way around an engine a bit.

Nutta121

Sep 23, 2012
Hampshire
Thanks for that but would you happen to know if the prices are still as high as they were when this post was started? I can't get to contact the stealers until tomorrow

Thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.