Lcr indicator relay

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
hi guys,when using my indicators,once i haveturned and knocked them off i can still hear the relay clicking fast behind the dash?is this a common fault?and is it possible to get to the relay and replace if its sticking?

Can anyone help???

Last edited:

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
Mine did this, apparently it can be a problem with the indicator stalk rather than the relay itself. I just sprayed some WD40 into the stalk (didn't even remove it first) and it's been fine since (that was back in July!)

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
does the pannel just pop out to access it?i think the fault is with the relay as the indicator light isnt flashing in the cluster,and the fact that when i put the indicator off it keeps clicking but faster,like it would if a bulb was out.cheers

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
i think the fault is with the relay as the indicator light isnt flashing in the cluster,and the fact that when i put the indicator off it keeps clicking but faster,like it would if a bulb was out.cheers

That's exactly what mine did - try the old WD40 first, it might save you some hassle and pennies ;)

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
I just stuck the "straw" in where the indicator stalk goes into the steering wheel housing and gave it a bit of a spray around - nothing terribly accurate.
It did the trick for me so it's probably a good place to start!

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
We sell loads of hazard switches, really common fault as the relay is built into it.
Two sizes depending on age of car - one will slip out easily, the other needs the radio removed to get at it from behind

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
We sell loads of hazard switches, really common fault as the relay is built into it.
Two sizes depending on age of car - one will slip out easily, the other needs the radio removed to get at it from behind

this is one of the last of the mk1 shape,ie 2005,i went to vw today to look at the mk4 golf one and mine is larger.how much are the switches and are they generally stocked??

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
Do you have cruise control? When my indicator stalk failed, it also made my cruise control not work properly (as well as giving me the noise you've described), when I slid the switch over to the left to increase speed it would increase speed but then not hold it. If you've got similar cruise problems then it could be your indicator stalk, if that seems fine then maybe start with a new hazard switch, it's much cheaper.

no cruise control mate,thanks though

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
this is one of the last of the mk1 shape,ie 2005,i went to vw today to look at the mk4 golf one and mine is larger.how much are the switches and are they generally stocked??

VW ones wont fit - switch is unique to the Leon dash.
After 2001-ish, all Leons use same switch at around £28 rrp
We still stock them, as should most dealers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members